What predator is this and how do I deter it?

firstly, sorry for your loss..
i'm going with Raccoon.. they are known to eat just the head of chickens.. i catch them outside often.. luckily they are more interested in left over scraps or spilled chicken food on the ground and have never harmed my hens.. i have trapped and relocated some..
sorry!
they are attracted to food first.. perhaps bring in any chicken food/eggs at night..

I betting raccoon also. I have raised one and the can do some serious damage with their claws and teeth! Plus head missing is a sign of raccoon. Security is the only way to deal with them. I don't feel that killing them works because more just move in if there is a food source.

Watch out for digging, electric wire will work but if any grass or shrub touches it then it is rendered useless.
Some wire can tolerate some weeds or grass touching it. I do check mine with a meter daily and I do keep the weeds and grass off of it. During the summer months when it grows once in awhile a little might touch it. I have touched the grass to pull it out and forgot to turn off the power and got zapped through the grass.

That is without a doubt a coyote.
Here we have mostly coyotes. Nothing here preys on coyotes but they will prey on other predators including bobcat and fox if they can catch them. I see them most nights on at least one of my game cameras. Lately I have been seeing them more in pairs.
DSCF00051114 03.jpg
A fox
DSCF00041114 02.jpg
DSCF00091113 06.jpg

Back
Top Bottom