What predator killed my budgie?

jak2002003

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 24, 2009
Thailand
I am so sad right now.

I have my budgies for 6 years in a large flight cage in the garden under a tree.

I bought 2 new ones yesterday and gave their cage a re vamp.. with more toys and branches.

They loved it.

This morning I fed them and watched them for a while.. they are real pets.

I went out for 2 hours to go shopping and when I came home I went to give them some sweet corn I got from the market (they love this).

I saw my favourite budgie dead on the cage floor..... he was fine in the morning....

I reached in and took him out and was shocked to see both his wings were GONE!!!!!!!

There were feathers all over the floor under the cage.

I think something must have climbed up the tree trunk and onto the cage.

My dogs were chasing something around my house 2 times last night.... they have never done that befoe.

I can't understand how the animals got the bird through the bars... its a huge cage and I don't know why the budgie did not just fly to the other side!!!!

It was really me best budgie.. a violet one... he was 5 years old... and it took me a long time to find a violet budgie....

I also went to the chicken coop as some chicks hatched this morning.. but I found one out of the nest in the middle of the coop dead and covered in blood.... perhaps the same predator... which makes me think whatever it is small... a cat could not get into the coop.

I am now very sad.. and very worried, as I don't know how to stop the predator coming back again and I don't want to loose any more of my pets!!!

Any advice? I can't bring the budgies into the house as their cage is too big and my partner won't allow animals in the house.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your birds but I think it could be some weasel or mongoose sort of animal who are slender and tend to get through even small bars. Look out for it and try to cover every hole or broken bar of your cage.

Thanks guys....

I could not sleep last night thinking that something would come back in and night a have a second attack.

Thankfully this morning they are all ok.

I have my 2 dogs out in the garden on guard duty now.

If anything happens again I will move the cage and put it inside my chicken coop.

ive been told racoons can grab them if they can stick there paws in or it could've been a sharp shinned or coopers id imagine with their slender legs they could've grabbed them if them came close enough and id assume the budgies would've had no idea what was happening until it was to late im really sorry about your loss

Back
Top Bottom