What Predator killed my flock?

Carole Hale

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 19, 2011
I came home this evening to lock up the coop for the night and 15 of my 16 chickens were dead. The rooster was missing some feathers and 2 hens had a couple of scratches and a little blood on their necks. All the others are completely unmarked. The hen still alive can't stand up and is in shock I think.. I've had them for years without any problems. It happened in daylight because they hadn't come inside, they are all scattered over their yard which is about 1000 square feet. Has anyone any idea about what could have happened?

I would guess that with that much damage that it was probably a neighbors dog. You made need to invest in an electric fence around the area where your chickens are.

Dogs perhaps?

Dogs are usually the culprit to a massive killing, and it usually is indeed a scattered scene of uneaten birds.

I am SOO sorry to hear of your loss.
hugs.gif

Oh, wow - this is awful and I'm so sorry this happened! Was there any sign of forced entry? Any indication that the run had been breached by a predator, or could a predator have reached inside? How protected is their yard? Had you seen any sign they might have been in physical distress before this happened (unusual droppings, not eating, etc.)?
Again - I'm so sorry. What a horrible way to come home...

Thank you. I don' think it was a dog, The fence is still secure and there are no holes. The birds are not mutilated in any way. The rooster looked like he had been in a fight, some of his feathers are scattered. But the hens look completely normal except for the 2 with a tiny trickle of blood on their necks. That's what has me puzzled.

It's true that a coyote can jump a 6 foot high fence. But I believe that a coyote would have killed a chicken and taken it for dinner - coyotes aren't indiscriminent killers from my experience...

Back
Top Bottom