What predator would kill ducks, but not eat them??

Azkaiedia3756

Hatching
Jun 22, 2017
I got my young kids five ducklings to raise a couple months back. We have two acres of fenced yard that they've been doing just fine roaming in since they outgrew their pen a few weeks ago. They can't quite fly yet, but they're about 4 months old. I went out to feed them this morning, just like any other day. I found two missing. I was able to locate one right away. He was still in the yard, dead, and had two small puncture wounds in his neck (only about a half inch apart). No other sings of injury. I went out searching for my other duck, hoping to figure out what could've done this, and I found him about 100 yards away, just outside the property. His feathers were scattered everywhere in my yard in the very same spot I found the other duck. He was mauled and drug a very small distance, his bottom was ripped up, but not eaten and just left there. Any ideas as to what could've done this? I live in central Illinois. Side note: while searching for the duck that was taken off the property, I found the remains of what I believe to be my neighbors small dog, just feet away from where my duck was left. Not sure if it's related, but could be.

The puncture wounds on the neck sound like the work of a weasel. They are relentless. Set a trap and dispose of it ASAP. Also, raccoons will kill ducks and just eat their abdominal contents and leave the rest.

The puncture wounds on the neck sound like the work of a weasel. They are relentless. Set a trap and dispose of it ASAP. Also, raccoons will kill ducks and just eat their abdominal contents and leave the rest.
Thank you! Now that I have a better idea, I'll set some traps.

I think weasel for the first on. Maybe the dog was chasing the predator or going after the ducks and predator took him out too.

Whatever the puzzle, so very sorry. Neighbor won't be happy either.

I've learned there are too many predators out there. They do things you would never think of. After securing my coop and runs what I thought was pretty good, I just lost a 7 week old pullet thru a 1" opening this week. Mine had to be a raccoon - those tiny darn hands pulled her right thru. Sick over it. There are also Fisher cats/pole cats in your area, so I agree with the others, that it's probably in the weasel family. Bigger predators and large birds would have carried them away most likely. Sorry for your loss.

martens , fishers, minks in upstate NY beheaded all my ducks, the neighbors show chickens (very expensive), a friend's ducks. All to show dominance and to say "our turf". none of the dead were used as food. Came home today and a pile of feathers under a bush was all that remained of 1 of my female mallards. Looked as though she was completely defeathered. No body to be found. A teaspoon of blood. My African geese have stopped the foxes from wiping out the ducks this year. 2 adult geese are fabulous watch dogs and very very protective. A contingent of turkeys (20) has been sharing the ducks food for a couple days. Today 3 turkeys were on the deck and a pile of feathers on the ground. I tend toward a turkey or 2 killing the mallard. Will send a message to the turkeys in the A.M. Have a good evening.

Back
Top Bottom