What predator was this?

• Total voters
Pics
Was it in a position where it couldn't raise its tail? Foot stomping is the warning before the tail raising, which happens just before letting off the stink bomb. Some skunks, I understand, stand on their front paws and aim their rears at you over their heads in a kind of back flip. If they can't "assume the position," they can't fire.

I did not want to shoot this skunk because their glands may release upon death.

LOL, @OhZark Biddies! Not at all sure, to be honest, and I don't intend to find out! There may not be a more fearless critter in all North America than Mephitis mephitis and its relatives. I looked back at my post because I thought I had written the qualifier, "I understand ..." but I see that was in the preceding sentence. Guess I should have combined those sentences. Truly, it has been MY UNDERSTANDING that they can't release the stink juice if they can't raise the tail, but that notion may have given rise to the common myth that if you grab 'em by the tail, they can't shoot you. Which many a young boy has discovered, on a dare, just "ain't so!"

Edited to correct spelling of Mephitis.

Last edited:
The skunk that I encountered faced me and didn't have time to turn around and it did stink. No skunk is going to intimidate me, and I wanted to put the chicks in their coop but it was standing next to the gate that it was attempting to dig under. I thought when I went into the house to get the rifle it would leave but it was still there and began stomping its feet when I came back out.

The skunk that I encountered faced me and didn't have time to turn around and it did stink. No skunk is going to intimidate me, and I wanted to put the chicks in their coop but it was standing next to the gate that it was attempting to dig under. I thought when I went into the house to get the rifle it would leave but it was still there and began stomping its feet when I came back out.

You're braver than I am!

Back
Top Bottom