What Preventative Medicines Should You Give a Flock?

Jessi.Smith

Songster
Sep 30, 2018
Texas
I am a first time chicken owner with lots of chickens between 8 and 10 weeks old.
For the first 8 weeks they were on medicated starter, and I just switched them to a grower that isn't medicated.
The birds are all outside in a fully enclosed chicken run (& coop). To my knowledge, the have never been chickens kept in the area, but the next door neighbor have free range peafowl and ducks that like to come watch the chickens.
I have not seen any signs of illness in any of the birds (chickens or the neighbors birds). We have been wet here for going on like 3 weeks without ever fully drying out. I live in Texas, in the hill country if that helps.

My questions are:
1. Due to the yucky weather, do I need to give them anything to help prevent illness?
2. Is there a worming schedule I should follow?

I appreciate any knowledge you can share. In addition to being my future breakfast makers, these birds are my pets.

The best thing to do is to feed and care for them appropriately so they are healthy birds. There is no way to guarantee that none will ever get sick, but cleanliness and proper feed will help immensely with prevention. Then you learn what is normal, so that if something does happen, you can recognize symptoms early. I personally would not be happy with the neighbors flock visiting. If illness happens in your flock, or theirs, they will carry it one way or the other, to both flocks. Worming needs vary from flock to flock. It's best to have a fecal test done, when ever possible, before treating to confirm they are there, which one(s) and then you can treat appropriately. Most of the time worms will not be visible in droppings, so not seeing them does not necessarily mean they are not there. Here is some info on that: https://poultrykeeper.com/general-chickens/worming-chickens/

Thank you. I guess I have been reading too many of the sick bird posts and now I am paranoid about it.
I help with the care of the neighbors ducks and peafowl, so I have been keeping an eye on them for any signs of illness.

Back
Top Bottom