What price should I ask for my Runner Ducks at the Fair?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sunny Side Up, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I will be entering some Runner Ducks in our county Fair. Two drakes and 7 hens. Hatched last summer, about 6 months old. I would like to sell them all, together or separately. What would be a fair price to ask? Or should I ask people to make offers & take the highest?

This is not a big fancy professional poultry show, but a LOT of people come through looking to buy birds. I've been able to sell POL purebred pullets for $25-$30. But I've never shown or sold ducks here. Of course, I'd like to get the best price I can for them, to help pay for everyone else's feed back home.

Thank you for your imput.

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, pricing is such a difficult question to answer. But I definitely suggest you set a price and, if it's negotiable, add "OBO." People are simply more likely to buy something if they know up front how much it will cost, or at least a ballpark figure so they can decide if they can afford it.

Back to "how much": If you can, why not take a few minutes before setting up to walk the displays and see what other people are asking? Place your price somewhere in the mid-range, because people are going to buy based on emotion, not purely on price, so if they're going to buy a duck, they're going to buy the one they like assuming it's reasonably priced, not necessarily the cheapest (which is why I wouldn't price them below market). If there are not other ducks, then I would price fairly comparable to the chickens, and go from there.

Once the fair gets going, you can judge peoples's reactions and go from there--if they sell out in the first 15 minutes, you probably weren't asking enough. If people are interested & like to look at them & appear to be in a buying mood, but keep walking, then you can lower your price.

If you get toward the end of the day and still have birds, lower the prices even more & start offering discounts to your fellow displayers (ha ha--they already have facilities, so they're more likely to buy, right?).

Good luck, and have fun!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by