What produce do your chickens like?

amsunshine

Songster
9 Years
Mar 24, 2010
Kansas
I've been giving my girls fresh broccoli and shredded carrots the last few days, and they just ADORE them. It's nice to see. I leave the broccoli in bigger chunks so they can pick it apart, and it keeps them busy for awhile.

What fruits and veggies do your chicken like?

Grapes! Always amusing to watch the "keep-away"!
tongue.png
Broccoli, Corn on the cob, nuts and seed of all sorts, bananas, strawberries, I want to try melon, not quite in season here yet...

We give ours the left over corn cobs and they pick them clean. Any kind of melon rind. Carrot tops. Romaine lettuce. Right now because we have chicks I'm also giving the flock a couple of hardboiled eggs, peeled and mashed. I have to count my fingers after I put that dish down in the run. Yikes!

hide.gif
my chickens are the pickiest eaters I have EVER come across. They wouldn't eat anything I tossed in their pen such as carrots, broccoli, grapes, lettuce, radishes.. Umm and a few other things. BUT! Finally we had a BBQ and there was corn on the cob left over from dinner and I put one in the pen and BOTH my girls went NUTS over them!! It was so funny, but corn is about the last thing they have enjoyed that I have tried. They are BIG meat eaters.. I was in the pen with a BLT, (MY BLT mind you..) and Joon jumped up and stole a tiny piece of the bacon! Greedy butt lol, I am a meat eater myself and don't appreciate this little BR stealing my BLT haha.

Grapes...don't want to be near them with those. They'll peck your hand!
droolin.gif
And then when you mix it up with yogurt you have to watch out because they'll start shaking their heads and yogurt will go flying everywhere.

Romaine lettuce is a favorite. All sorts of berries, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, you name it. Just don't give them avocado! Bad, bad avocado.
sickbyc.gif
That will kill'em. Literally!

So far our babies like grapes,corn,carrots,broccoli,cabbage,apple,peaches,and their favorite of all LIVE MEAL WORMS.They go crazy over them.I actually just started a small meal worm farm to see if I can raize my own..
JIM&LINDY

Back
Top Bottom