What Protein %?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Country Parson, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    I have lots to learn about protein & nutrition when it comes to my chickens. What protein percentage should I have for the following birds?

Laying Hens
    Dark-Cornish (for egg-laying & meat)
    Freedom Rangers
    CornishX

My wife and I are currently researching growing our own chicken feed, which has caused us to realize that we haven't been paying much attention to the protein level in our store-bought feed. Any help on protein % would be appreciated.

2. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Around 20 % percent for all of them would be good.

3. tornado8070

tornado8070 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Ruth, MI
    Meat birds or growing pullets require a 20% diet. Mature and older hens can get away with 17-18%. Just to my Kalmbach Feed nutritionist last week if you are wondering my source.

4. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Most commercial layer feed is 16-18%. At times, they need more (moulting, summer, etc). I'be never seen any suggestions that they could have too much protein, although I'm sure there is a limit that becomes unhealthy. That said, protein is expensive. From reading posts, most feed layers a commercial feed free choice and supplement with higher protein treats. If you have a mixed flock of birds which you want to raise for eggs and sometimes meat, I feel it is best to treat them like layers. You will get a slower growing bird with more dark meat. If you feed them all like meat birds, you will get lots of fat layers who will produce poorly. Ideally, you would segregate the meat-only birds and give them the higher protein. That way, you can grow them, finish them and dispatch them to the freezer while your layers are still thinking about getting ready to lay.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    The feed Mfg that I use [Buckeye Nutrition] recommends -

21% Broiler Starter
    20% Grower
    18% Miracle Starter [for non meat breeds]
    15% Pullet Grower & Developer
    20% Layer [that the recommend mixing 70% layer to 30% grain]
    or
    17% Complete Laying Crumbles