What Qaulity To Get Fm Hollerread's

I've been buying from Holderreads for over 6 years now (so glad they have a website now!) and have had great experiences w/ quality on my runners & I add other bloodlines as well. I always buy the Top Show Quality and am very happy, but you have to remember that not all the birds are going to turn out TSQ. Figure you are going to get a few that aren't perfect when they mature. I've even had great looking birds with the rare colors. I will always buy and support them, also including the fact that they are a Preservation Center & your money goes to a good cause and support rare breeds.

So I think I misspoke in my last comment. I think all of mine are good for breeding (with patience), just not top notch show quality. But I only purchased the breeder/show quality from Holderreads, so that I would have pretty darned good examples of the breed, but wasn't actually looking to show my ducks (except maybe at the very small regional county fair). And I agree with the poster that indicated that, besides getting excellent examples of the breeds of duck, it's great to support their work in preservation.
thumbsup.gif
(AND, besides that, they are EXCEPTIONALLY nice people as well!)

It does seem tho' that if someone is really serious, it's probably good to just start with their top show quality adult ducks.

Quote:
I got the feeling a couple times you weren't happy with those ducks! I thought they were a great deal for the price, but obviously, how I would feel about it doesn't matter since it was your money. It just depends on so many factors. Around here though, I could never have found a pair of Blue Fawn Calls of that quality for $50. I understand the shipping is a killer though. With that additional cost, if you can find them locally, it almost doesn't make it worth it to have them shipped (as you have found obviously). I know what you mean. In their lower price ranges as well, the birds are typically pet quality (actually in the lower couple price ranges, IMHO). I have bought lots of birds from them and as with anyone else, it is luck of the draw. I don't think there is a better place to buy day-old ducklings. They are typically higher quality than other hatcheries, but they are indeed still a hatchery (IMHO). With adult birds, I have got some that are awesome and some not so much. Of course, the value or quality of birds is somewhat subjective as well (even in the show world).

Anyway, Janastasio, I'm sorry you have ended up thinking those birds were not worth the cost. I know how that feels. Maybe a BYC'er would be interested in them?

Back
Top Bottom