What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Some people's rabbits love frozen water bottles. Mine on the other hand don't touch them...
Definitely clean that out. It could be the start of vent disease, which can be a big, gross problem.

I only have one doe that doesn't like the frozen bottles, she'll shove it into a corner and leave it there to go back to her tiles CD... Okay I'll do that right away, is there anything specifically I should use to clean it or put on it aftawards as a preventative?.... Nothings ever a deal is it :rolleyes:

On a side note:
I was just brushing my Flemish buck and out of the blue I checked his vent, on either side of his vent are those little folds of skin normally covered up unless you part the skin... Anyway I checked and both fokd of skin on either side of his vent is covered in brownish scab-like stuff that smells kinda bad. Is that from him not grooming properly or is it an infection? Should I try to clean it out?
I think that's the waxy substance that builds up in a rabbit's scents glands due to scent excretion.
You should clean it out. It's recommended that they be cleaned regularly, although I have some rabbits that do fine on their own. If you have a rabbit that is prone to build it, it may lead to a bacterial or fungal infection if not taken care of regularly. Take some warm water and a q-tip, use the q-tip to loosen the waxy substance from the scent gland. From there, you should be able to pull the wax out. Make sure you use enough water and that it becomes very loose before you attempt to pull it out. The skin in the scent gland is extremely fragile.
Here's a link to what I think you're seeing. (Picture of rabbit's scent gland, may be gross to some)
https://www.google.com/search?q=rab...ttontails-rescue.org.uk%2Frabbits.asp;336;389

Last edited:
I think that's the waxy substance that builds up in a rabbit's scents glands due to scent excretion.
You should clean it out. It's recommended that they be cleaned regularly, although I have some rabbits that do fine on their own. If you have a rabbit that is prone to build it, it may lead to a bacterial or fungal infection if not taken care of regularly. Take some warm water and a q-tip, use the q-tip to loosen the waxy substance from the scent gland. From there, you should be able to pull the wax out. Make sure you use enough water and that it becomes very loose before you attempt to pull it out. The skin in the scent gland is extremely fragile.
Here's a link to what I think you're seeing. (Picture of rabbit's scent gland, may be gross to some)
https://www.google.com/search?q=rab...ttontails-rescue.org.uk%2Frabbits.asp;336;389

Yup that's it, I was just about to go clean it, but since it looks like the scent gland stuff that's good, I'm glade it's not vent disease... I'll go clean him up and check everyone else, thank you :)

M
For those of you with outside does and funky temps - like cool one day, HOT the next, are you losing kits?  I've lost 10 kits in the last 4 litters.  Same as the previous batch - one doe lost all her kits, and another even died.  They are shaded, have FULL ventilation in their cages, plenty of feed and water.  Some days are cool in the 60s, with the next being in the 80, near 90s and no cloud cover.  

Also, do you find that your rabbits eat less in the heat?
my rabbits barely eat at all now and I don't lose any babies

Look at my new NZ does!!!

They are also both "bred"
Very nice! Nice cage set up too! I need to make another cage. You know....rabbits would be so much easier to keep if you could keep more than 1 to a cage! Now that I took the kits away to wean from the mother I'm sure I won't be able to place this frosty doe back in with the mother.
roll.png
I really hate that each rabbit has to be kept alone, you would think they'd be happier living in pairs. Even the males.

Back
Top Bottom