What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by shadow rabbit10, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Holland Lop

106 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. English Spot

14 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. American Fuzzy Lop

11 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. Mini Rex/Rex

107 vote(s)
    21.3%
  5. New Zealand

94 vote(s)
    18.7%
  6. Polish

13 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. English Lop

31 vote(s)
    6.2%
  8. Mini Satins/Satins

14 vote(s)
    2.8%
  9. Lionhead

112 vote(s)
    22.3%
  1. CicisBunnyBarn

CicisBunnyBarn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    I
    I had a NZW as a pet in my chicken coop for 3 years and then lived in my woods for 4

2. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    I agree. That's what's so great about chickens- you can keep several in one coop! With rabbits, you have to buy/build a new cage for every one...

3. PrimroseMom1

PrimroseMom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    R Right now I have an 8 week old in with a 6 week old and they are really good together. Will that change or do some get along? One is a doe and the other a buck, but I am going to neuter the boy. Also, before she had a litter, the one year old was very compatible with the 8 week old but now she tries to hump the two young ones.

4. CicisBunnyBarn

Feb 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    It may Shane because of hormones u should get both of them fixed.:)

5. PoultryPower

PoultryPower Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Some rabbits can get along fine in a cage together. I think a big step to helping them live together peacefully is making sure they have a large cage.
    Mounting is just dominance. My "old granny doe" still chases her 2 neutered sons around the run trying to mount them. After she feels they've learned their lesson, she proceeds to snuggle up next to them for a nap.
    Your doe has not seen the two younger rabbits in a while and is probably just trying to reestablish her dominance. Since the two are only 8 weeks old, I think it's best they don't live permanently with the older doe till they are bigger. There is hope for them getting along again.

6. redrstr29

redrstr29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2013
    LOL I KNOW its so huge.....I dont know if its just me but these NZ are so CHUNKY and meaty!!! maybe Im just not used to this breed? lol...Thanks everyone for the nice comments....I like the way I built the cage...They involve alittle more work because the bottom is all wood...but I like em wood...I hope they both Kindle...it would make me very happy...The Doe with the smaller dewlap kindled 3 kits last time, that was the reason why he gave her too me (he runs a huge rabbitry and needs better producing does) and the second one produced 6 last time.....Its all good with me as long as they both kindle Ill be happier than a pig in...you know what lol

7. PrimroseMom1

Apr 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Tha
    nks

Thanks for the replies. I'll follow your advice. Yea I could tell it wasn't good to have the young ones with the older one right now. She's too much bigger. I read a lot of genetics stuff on here. Sorry it was over my head. Basic question: can you mate a son to a mother if you are going to stop right there and not mate any more?

8. CicisBunnyBarn

Feb 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    Reply to ur question. Yes I have done it plenty of times

9. DairyGoatz

DairyGoatz Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    North Carolina
    Whats a good cleaner for wooden frame outdoor hutches? I normally use boiling water, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice. I also use Lysol anytime a rabbit is sick (Very unoften thankfully)... Any other cleaners okay for rabbits? I've herd of using a handheld blowtorch for all wire cages would it work for wood?

10. PrimroseMom1

Apr 23, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Coo
    l

Cool. Thanks. One more question : my bunny "bites" me, but she doesn't seem stressed at the time and it does not seem to be aggressive and I can barely feel it. Do bunnies sometimes do this affectionately or is this the warning that she will get worse and be a biter? She is 1 year old. I have only had her a couple of months. I had a biting rabbit and don't want another one.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by