What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
Very nice set up. I still envy those of you having kitts.

Question: One of my NZX does is getting ornery. She gets pretty fiesty at feeding time. Today she was trying to grab the cup I use to place the pellets inside her feed dish. I had already put a scoop in the feed dish and she was coming for the 2nd helping. I pushed her back gently so I could close the door on the cage and she gave a little growl and a little nip. Not quite a bite. I guess she's just letting me know she thinks she's boss. Are there exercises I can do with her to minimize what might be the start of aggressive behaviors. Will this behavior calm down when she is ready to breed. She's only 5.5 months old right now and I would guess close to 7.5 or 8 lbs. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

I am still new to rabbits but I had read that dominant Rabbits will lay their body over the other rabbits neck and hold him down for a few moments to let them know who is boss. one day I was changing my females litter box and she bit me and actually drew blood so I took my hand and laid across her neck Gently but firmly so she couldn't move. she stayed totally still and when I let her go she didn't even try to bite me when I put my hand by her mouth. like I said, I'm not a pro but it seems to work for me. I haven't had that problem since.

Last edited:
Very nice set up.  I still envy those of you having kitts.  

Question:  One of my NZX does is getting ornery.  She gets pretty fiesty at feeding time.  Today she was trying to grab the cup I use to place the pellets inside her feed dish.  I had already put a scoop in the feed dish and she was coming for the 2nd helping.  I pushed her back gently so I could close the door on the cage and she gave a little growl and a little nip.  Not quite a bite.  I guess she's just letting me know she thinks she's boss. Are there exercises I can do with her to minimize what might be the start of aggressive behaviors.  Will this behavior calm down when she is ready to breed.  She's only 5.5 months old right now and I would guess close to 7.5 or 8 lbs. Thanks for any insight you can provide. 

Keep her cage away from any bucks. And she'll calm down wil she's preg. But while still preg. Start being mean again towards her due date.

I didnt know this but I do it sorta lol

If one is defensive or jumpy (not preggers - I let the mamas be defensive) I will flatten my hand and keep it above to "pet" their ears til they pause...then I hold my hand there a moment and can give them a chin rub and even gently feel a belly a moment later. Neat! It's a herd instinctual thing ;)
I am still new to rabbits but I had read that dominant Rabbits will lay their body over the other rabbits neck and hold him down for a few moments to let them know who is boss. one day I was changing my females litter box and she bit me and actually drew blood so I took my hand and laid across her neck Gently but firmly so she couldn't move. she stayed totally still and when I let her go she didn't even try to bite me when I put my hand by her mouth. like I said, I'm not a pro but it seems to work for me. I haven't had that problem since.

Got into town last night and I wish I had taken pics but found a nice hutch with ramp and even leg bands for birds. A nice animal supply shop in town. I get excited when I see new stuff coming into town. Anyone got a link to a small space hutch? One that could house a breeding pair and kitswith some grow room until they can be sold? Rabbits might get rooftop I we get the house plenty of room and sunshine. Once we get this house into a down payment I will map out places for all the animals. Then I can plan on building cages and such while we are moving in.

My little lionhead went outside last night since it's finally warming up here. His "cage" got moved to the top of the yard today and he is loving life!

Back
Top Bottom