What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
I did have a question about my two does. When we got them each of them came with a pedigree and has an ear number. What I was wanting to know was when the babies are born what is the purpose of the ear number tattoo? Is this something that I should do before they are sold or does the new owner put the tattoo number on the ear?

The ear number serves no purpose to the rabbits other than identification and you are unable to show your rabbits in an ARBA sanctioned show if they don't have an ear tattoo. If you are going to a show at a local fair or something then they can just temporarily mark a code on their ear in sharpee

@ShadyGroveFarm1

I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a tough time. I reckon you know why I say that anyone who believes in the saying, "breeds like rabbits" has never tried it, huh?
roll.png

A litter as small as 2 or 3 can have a very hard time staying warm. For this reason, I bring my litters in the house when the temps are low, and only take them out to the mothers once or twice a day to nurse. Some of my does have had a little trouble getting the hang of this, others have no problems with it at all.

If these were my does, I'd rebreed straight away, and make sure to mark my calender when the next litter is due. Good Luck!

I know right!, really rabbits are that easy to breed. I might try doing that next time they are born. Both the pairs are together again and I'm keeping them together for a week cause that worked last time.

So sorry to hear of the loss. Today is day 29 for our doe. I apologize for doing the count down but this is my first experience raising rabbits. The first breeding didn't take. I was positive she was pregnant because I could see movement in her stomach area. Only to find out later that it was her intestines doing a slow roll instead of babies moving about.
hu.gif
I used a different doe this time and she certainly looks like a "fat bottom girl" when she raises up on her rear legs. Otherwise she looks pretty normal. Photos to follow soon if all goes well.

I have my doe and two remaining kits in the garage. Yesterday I was checking on everyone and I found a really small like 1/4 size of the others kit. It had the same amount of fur as the others. It was laying at the front of the cage dead. I guess because of the size I missed it when looking in the nest. The back end of it was missing. I assume she ate it? I rechecked the other two and they are little fat pigs. Do I need to do anything? This would make her 8th kit. Isn't that a lot for a first time Mama?

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to hear of your loss.so far our Lionhead rabbits have just bred once and theirs were born in September but we now have two holland lop does that have been bred a few days ago and I will admit I'm a little nervous on how it will go in the winter time. I will definitely make sure that they keep nice and warm.

If your genetics are culled properly and hardy you'd be amazed how they will thrive in the winter. No matter what I never being taboos in the house - reaclimating is hard on them. My barn is open air with only 3 sides and we'll be below zero F this week and not above above freezing till the weekend. I have quite a few litters and I simply add extra hay to the hanging cages and turn nesting boxes on their side of any litters over 10 days old. Normally i wait until the first kits come out of the nesting box at about 2 weeks old, but since I have some reaching 2 weeks the end of the week I don't want to take a chance they'll get out and not be able to get back in.
All is good. They are all warm and fat and happy. Buns really love cold weather, it's just we humans who balk at it.
A winter tip:
Our coldest temps here are in Jan and Feb so I always breed to Kindle the first of Jan... for me, not the kits. That way I don't have kits in the grow out pens until the worst of the cold temps is over. This means less frozen water to deal with as I only keep breeders those two months of the year.

bun.gif
THEY R HERE!!! OMG I'm surprised how large they actually are. I was expecting smaller. Mom's on the large size though. There are 8 of them - at least that's what I counted on initial inspection. I have been on this quest for a year now. Got my does this time last year. Waited to add a buck from a different source. Had to get through the triple digit temps. 1st attempt didn't take. I guess it was still too warm for the buck. This was the 2nd go for him. So glad to share the journey and learn with all of you. Thank you for sharing all your experiences. Wow Nature just blows my mind - I can't get this smile off my face
big_smile.png

Has anyone on here made money with breeding rabbits? I have 4 and I want to extend my rabbitry but is there really any profit? Either way I'm gonna extend my herd as a hobby and something I love but I want to know if anyone has made any profit and if so how?

bun.gif
THEY R HERE!!! OMG I'm surprised how large they actually are. I was expecting smaller. Mom's on the large size though. There are 8 of them - at least that's what I counted on initial inspection. I have been on this quest for a year now. Got my does this time last year. Waited to add a buck from a different source. Had to get through the triple digit temps. 1st attempt didn't take. I guess it was still too warm for the buck. This was the 2nd go for him. So glad to share the journey and learn with all of you. Thank you for sharing all your experiences. Wow Nature just blows my mind - I can't get this smile off my face
big_smile.png
Congrats!

:bun  THEY R HERE!!! OMG I'm surprised how large they actually are.  I was expecting smaller.  Mom's on the large size though.  There are 8 of them - at least that's what I counted on initial inspection.  I have been on this quest for a year now.  Got my does this time last year.  Waited to add a buck from a different source.  Had to get through the triple digit temps.  1st attempt didn't take.  I guess it was still too warm for the buck.  This was the 2nd go for him.  So glad to share the journey and learn with all of you.  Thank you for sharing all your experiences.  Wow Nature just blows my mind - I can't get this smile off my face :D

Can't wait for pics!! Congrats!!

Has anyone on here made money with breeding rabbits? I have 4 and I want to extend my rabbitry but is there really any profit? Either way I'm gonna extend my herd as a hobby and something I love but I want to know if anyone has made any profit and if so how?

Nope, unless u raise for meat and keep track of the cost then divided it by the amount of kits then try to sell them at that price.

Here they are - They are all about the size of the one in my hand. I was really shocked at how big they were because I could hardly tell she was pregnant from looking at her. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom