What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
If you dont have a wooden nesting box or metal one, (I think if yo had one you wouldnt of wanted to use a shoebox) lol Ive used an old cassarole ceramic tray that was 12x10 , and I also used one of those pink containers they send home with you if you've ever had a stay at a hospital, and Ive also used a chicken nesting box once lol
bun.gif
jumpy.gif

Good luck, soon mine will be coming....so excited

If its big enough, usually they need a little ventilation depending how warm or humid it is, but if you use hay that should dry it up some. :) :) :)

But something wooden is better, even if its some scrap 2x4's you can make into a square and place it over a scrap piece of wood underneith it

Last edited:
I have been breeding rabbits for almost 30 years. For a number of years, I have sometimes put rabbits (particularly older does) together in small "colonies" of 2-4 does and 1 buck in a large cage, and kept them together until the does are close to kindling or the buck becomes a nuisance. I have never had a doe from one of these colony settings deliver babies that looked premature, or have babies on one day and deliver more even a few days later. The only does I have had that delivered babies that looked fully mature and others that looked premature were older does that were not in a colony, but had only been bred on one day (two does that I remember doing this). I had one doe that kindled three babies one day and had three more several days later, but she, too had been only bred on one day.

From my experience I would say that the babies will most likely be born alive, though first-time mothers often mess up one way or another.

It's too light, she could tip that over and the babies will end up all over the floor of the cage or wire depending on where you're housing her. Do you have a tractor supply near you? They have the metal ones for $20 although they're rather large, which may work for you-sorry I forgot at the moment what breed you have again. When I went it was wayy too big for my holland lop. I'm trying to think where else you could get some sort of wooden box.....

I have been breeding rabbits for almost 30 years. For a number of years, I have sometimes put rabbits (particularly older does) together in small "colonies" of 2-4 does and 1 buck in a large cage, and kept them together until the does are close to kindling or the buck becomes a nuisance. I have never had a doe from one of these colony settings deliver babies that looked premature, or have babies on one day and deliver more even a few days later. The only does I have had that delivered babies that looked fully mature and others that looked premature were older does that were not in a colony, but had only been bred on one day (two does that I remember doing this). I had one doe that kindled three babies one day and had three more several days later, but she, too had been only bred on one day.

From my experience I would say that the babies will most likely be born alive, though first-time mothers often mess up one way or another.

How do you go about keeping that amount together without them fighting? That's my biggest problem with wanting more than the pair I have. I'd have to get a cage for each one I added. And I really don't want to do that. I wish rabbits were like chickens LOL

Lynzi how about one of those chicken nest boxes from tsc??... your right about it tipping, I forgot..I drilled mine to the cage floor which was wooden in that section, LOL those nest boxes are big, even for my flemish lol

Back
Top Bottom