What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here!

Coolest Rabbit Breed Out Of These?

• Holland Lop

Votes: 108 21.3%
  • English Spot

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • American Fuzzy Lop

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • Mini Rex/Rex

Votes: 107 21.1%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 94 18.6%
  • Polish

Votes: 13 2.6%
  • English Lop

Votes: 33 6.5%
  • Mini Satins/Satins

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Lionhead

Votes: 112 22.1%

• Total voters
My 14 month old Am Chin kindled for the 2nd time today. She weaned 9 the first time. Today she had 11 healthy kits in 93 degree heat. I am SO glad it is finally evening and beginning to cool off... down to 88 at 8pm.

hi, new bunny owner here. about a month ago, I got 2 French Angora does...

CinnaBun

and Charlotte.

about a week and a half ago, we welcomed a pair of German/French/English X does...

currently known only as 'they bunny slippers'. better start working on real names.....

Cottontail isn't a "breed", it's like, well, "antelope" - the name for a type of animal. There are a number of species that are grouped as cottontails.

It's very kind to rescue these baby wild rabbits, I just hope you don't wind up paying a price for it in the long run. North American wild rabbits are entirely different species from the domestic rabbit, and it is illegal to have them in your possession. Only licensed wildlife rehabilitators are supposed to do this sort of thing (though I admit, I've done it, too). Your only legal option is to release the cottontails when they are about 4 weeks old and eating on their own. By the time they are 5 or 6 weeks old, they will start attacking each other and the other rabbits caged with them, because North American wild rabbits are solitary, not social (be warned, the damage they will do is shocking to witness - I made that mistake once). 

Of greater concern to me is that there are parasites and diseases that can pass between the two  species. At a  minimum. I think this doe and her litter should be wormed as soon as the wildlings are gone, and quarantined from any other rabbits you own for a couple of weeks afterwards as a precaution.

That is super important info. It would be easy to just keep them and be horrified by the carnage. And the disease factor. I would have done the same thing, I.e. Innocently Save them by putting them with a doe. I would have never guessed what you said.

My mini Rex de are one of her 5 day old kits. :( she now has 5kits. I don't now now if the 3 have a home. The buyer strictly wants 4. I have an older tort buck they can buy but they're not answering there phone. :( :/

Cottontail isn't a "breed", it's like, well, "antelope" - the name for a type of animal. There are a number of species that are grouped as cottontails.

It's very kind to rescue these baby wild rabbits, I just hope you don't wind up paying a price for it in the long run. North American wild rabbits are entirely different species from the domestic rabbit, and it is illegal to have them in your possession. Only licensed wildlife rehabilitators are supposed to do this sort of thing (though I admit, I've done it, too). Your only legal option is to release the cottontails when they are about 4 weeks old and eating on their own. By the time they are 5 or 6 weeks old, they will start attacking each other and the other rabbits caged with them, because North American wild rabbits are solitary, not social (be warned, the damage they will do is shocking to witness - I made that mistake once).

Of greater concern to me is that there are parasites and diseases that can pass between the two species. At a minimum. I think this doe and her litter should be wormed as soon as the wildlings are gone, and quarantined from any other rabbits you own for a couple of weeks afterwards as a precaution.

That's weird it's illegal to be in possession of them because people hunt them all the time?
I didn't plan on keeping them as pets or anything, just didn't want them to be dog food to the neighbors next door.
I did worry about potential disease spread, but I don't keep my rabbits in cages and see wild rabbits in my yard (presumably the mother that ended up being eaten next door) so I figured the risk of it would be low since they are probably already exposed to anything the others are.
I will definitely have to keep an eye out for any fighting, thanks for the heads up. It's amazing how violent rabbits can be when fighting they appear to be so harmless.
I will look into rabbit worming, I've only done the chickens.

My mini Rex de are one of her 5 day old kits.
sad.png
she now has 5kits. I don't now now if the 3 have a home. The buyer strictly wants 4. I have an older tort buck they can buy but they're not answering there phone.
sad.png
hmm.png

Is that like a normal thing? My doe had her first litter and here were 6 babies. One was dead when I first saw it so I think it was still born. Then 2 just disappeared, no trace of them at all. My husband thought she ate them and I was like no rabbits don't eat meat or there'd be some kind of trace of the body, they just vanished? The 3 she had left are doing great. I wonder why they do that? Sorry about finding homes for yours!

Is that like a normal thing? My doe had her first litter and here were 6 babies. One was dead when I first saw it so I think it was still born. Then 2 just disappeared, no trace of them at all. My husband thought she ate them and I was like no rabbits don't eat meat or there'd be some kind of trace of the body, they just vanished? The 3 she had left are doing great. I wonder why they do that? Sorry about finding homes for yours!

If a young baby dies in the nest, the mother will eat it. She may also kill and eat young that are ill or defective.

Is that like a normal thing?  My doe had her first litter and here were 6 babies.  One was dead when I first saw it so I think it was still born.  Then 2 just disappeared, no trace of them at all.  My husband thought she ate them and I was like no rabbits don't eat meat or there'd be some kind of trace of the body, they just vanished?  The 3 she had left are doing great.  I wonder why they do that?  Sorry about finding homes for yours!

Yes it's wired but the mom will eat any baby if she feels like she can't care for them all. I know that this baby was healthy and alive when she choose it to eat. It kept getting out of the nest box so it could have been a oops then she just ate it to keep the area clean. There will be no trace because if how clean rabbits are.

Back
Top Bottom