What rare breed am I?

I did go to your link but there is no list- all it has is that "poster" and statement:

" ...hatchery's choice of Standard Rare Breed Chicks, which have not been sold as specific rare breeds and have not been used in rare breed assortments..."

So it's not restricted to what's shown in that poster thingie. They consider Saipans to be "extremely rare" so I think it's likely they would toss any left over Saipans into this rare breed assortment. With Delawares and even GLW(are they considered rare?) shown on the poster, it could be anything up to half of the catalog it seems.​

Ahhh, ok I got it.

Well either way if that is what you have I have read that the true game fowl are quite friendly with humans when socalized
wink.png

Yes, it seems a little more so for the Oriental types as for being more handle able if tame. I've had Madagscar Games, Shamo and Asil in the past(and a pair of black Asil now).. none were aggressive towards people. Saipan roosters seem to have a reputation for being man fighters though. Hens seem to be okay..

Some of them can really look vicious, especially the ones with pronounced eye brows and stark white eyes. LOL

When I asked bf if he had any preference on what kind of chickens he wanted as house chickens he said no to all the true game fowls, I think the upright walking freaked him out a bit
lol.png

LOL!
I'm sorry, I just have to laugh everytime I see something about "Saipans" I realize it is a recognized breed and that many animal breeds no longer exist in their place of origin.
There never was a "Saipan Jungle Fowl" The chickens were scruffy mutts descended from various birds the Spainards brought in when they owned the islands and later mixed with fighting stock from Japan and the Phillippines. The only indigenous fowl is the Marianas Mallard. I think some enterprising GI during WW2 came up with an idea to make some money.

I grew up there and nowadays NOBODY keeps chickens for eggs! With the exception of one commercial farm that raises a few thousand birds a year, they are all for cockfighting. Some people keep a few extra hens and the culls not good enough to fight for the stew pot, but any others are just mutts, mostly of various fighting breeds mixed. They would rather buy the eggs and meat from the store. It's pretty much the same throughout the islands of Micronesia. They eat the meat, but not the eggs in most cases.
Most of the game birds I have been around the roos are agressive towards strange humans, but puppies to their handlers. (they have to tolerate a lot of handling, being held upside down etc for all the stuff they do to them) the hens are the ones I am leery of! I have seen many a big dog run yelping after thinking that fluffy little chickie would make a nice chew toy and that skinny little mamma bird poses no threat. And kids on Saipan strangely enough, have no urge to pick up and pet the cute little fuzzballs running around the yard. (usually, only the roos are caged or penned) But these are not ones that have been socialized and spoiled, so I think they could make nice pets if raised that way, as the roos are gentle with people they know.

Last edited:
Heya, I asked CUDA to take a look (because he raises Saipan). He said it sure looks like it could be a saipan hen (due to the coloring). Here's a link to his website where he has more information on them: http://www.freewebs.com/yzwreckin/Saipan.htm

It's
not a sure thing, but if you will raise her with your regular flock she might not become aggressive with them.

Hehe, see?
wink.png
We posted at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much everyone! Even if she is a little different looking, it's always fun to have a unique hen. I'll update with photos in a few weeks!

Back
Top Bottom