What repels mice?

... have a huge mouse problem and now snake(s) following - cannot use poison and hate to kill them in traps - have tried humane traps but the little suckers don't go in at a high enough rate - have relocated (across the creek)...

Be very careful of what you wish for but the following is 100% effective in preventing a mouse problem and there is nothing to buy. Just let the rats take over your chicken yard and presto, like magic no more mice.

Unfortunately the reverse doesn't work so instead of a mouse problem you have a bigger problem, RATS. It may help some if you stop relocating your mice across the creek and instead relocate your problem mice at the bottom of your creek. Here once more we are faced with the necessity of using an integrated pest control strategy. Which means making your premises as uninviting to mice as is possible and then killing off the die hard mice living with your chickens.

A lot has been said in the last 10 posts about mice pee. Mice (rats too) pee on your chicken feed in an attempt to make it as unappetizing to your chickens as mice pee contaminated chicken feed is to mice, a.k.a. Cinderella's Coachmen if that is how you roll.. Excuse me I meant to post Cinderella's Coachpersons.

Be very careful of what you wish for but the following is 100% effective in preventing a mouse problem and there is nothing to buy. Just let the rats take over your chicken yard and presto, like magic no more mice.

Unfortunately the reverse doesn't work so instead of a mouse problem you have a bigger problem, RATS. It may help some if you stop relocating your mice across the creek and instead relocate your problem mice at the bottom of your creek. Here once more we are faced with the necessity of using an integrated pest control strategy. Which means making your premises as uninviting to mice as is possible and then killing off the die hard mice living with your chickens.

A lot has been said in the last 10 posts about mice pee. Mice (rats too) pee on your chicken feed in an attempt to make it as unappetizing to your chickens as mice pee contaminated chicken feed is to mice, a.k.a. Cinderella's Coachmen if that is how you roll.. Excuse me I meant to post Cinderella's Coachpersons.

Rats, yes that's a problem, the problem I'm currently dealing with. You don't know how nasty a predator can be until you have to deal with rats. Till you have had a rat kill baby chicks. Nasty creatures. It seems no matter how well build and secure your coop is they find a way in. I've had very little luck trapping the rats, but hardware cloth goes a long way to keeping them out and a product called giant destroyer. You light the fuse and put it down the rat hole and cover the hole with dirt. The really great thing is no trap to worry about and poison to worry about. So far I've had my best luck with this stuff.

Use tamper proof bait boxes with chunx bait. I put a box right in the run. No worries and no rodents. Life really is that easy.

I've been using moth balls for years in the wood piles my grandfather showed me this when I was a kid , I also put them around the foundation of the house haven't had a mouse in the house since ,

this year since I built a new ground level deck I'm going to put them under there too ,

moth balls don't completely stop them but it helped quite a bit .
field mice are like the plague up here in the mountains . my grandfather also showed me how to use 5 gal buckets filled about 4 inch from the bottom with water.

tie a string with straws tight across top of the bucket this makes it hard for them to balance as they try to cross and get the bait , hang blob of peanut butter in the center of the string when they reach for it splash they drown . once there feet are wet they can't use there sticky little feet to climb out

I've been using moth balls for years in the wood piles my grandfather showed me this when I was a kid , I also put them around the foundation of the house haven't had a mouse in the house since ,

this year since I built a new ground level deck I'm going to put them under there too ,

moth balls don't completely stop them but it helped quite a bit .
field mice are like the plague up here in the mountains . my grandfather also showed me how to use 5 gal buckets filled about 4 inch from the bottom with water.

tie a string with straws tight across top of the bucket this makes it hard for them to balance as they try to cross and get the bait , hang blob of peanut butter in the center of the string when they reach for it splash they drown . once there feet are wet they can't use there sticky little feet to climb out

Building off of mountain chicken1's post, here is a video of a similar trap. There are tons of variations of this trap on YouTube. And you can put just a little water at the bottom to prevent them from climbing out if you wish to relocate them, or a lot of water if you want to be finished with them once and for all. This is superior to snap traps and most live traps because it's not one-and-done... there is no limit to how many you can snag in one night.

Back
Top Bottom