What rooster should I have?

kyle7630

Songster
11 Years
Aug 14, 2008
Semora NC
I have a flock of JG's, RIR's, and BO's. If I were to get a rooster, what should I get. I have kids so aggressive is not good. Also, with the breeds I have in my flock, what are the chances that one would go broody?

You might post on the classifieds here you are WTB a tame rooster. Lots of folks have raised surplus roos, and may have an extra sweetheart they just can't send to freezer camp.

I don't know if I want one or not yet. I'm still unsure. I just wonder what would be the best breed for my flock. I heard RIR roos are pretty protective. I will take your advice though.

I have a barred rock roo that is an absolute sweetheart.. He's a big boy but very friendly.. He is in with 11 hens/pullets and the head roo... Before I got our golden comets in April, the head roo bullied him so badly and would never let him out of the coop.. He never did learn how to crow correctly and he sounds really funny... He tried so hard to take a few girls as his own but the head roo is a nasty little snot (I'd love to put him in a pot but he's hubby's and he won't let me!) so he can only mount a few girls after the head roo goes in the coop for the night... They have started fighting and I'm in the process of trying to find someone on freecycle who has some extra fencing so i can build him his own pen.. If you decide to get a roo, I would be willing to give my baby to you.. His name is Ollie.. I'm near fayetteville.. I would much rather know he has a good home and he's got girls of his own to take care of than to have him here fighting because Clucky (head roo) is greedy! I have a 12 year old son and he has NEVER been aggressive toward him.. My son can walk right up to him and pick him out and I don't worry about him getting hurt... Here's a pic of him... I can get you a better picture tomorrow...

33603_2010-06-18_113115_st_pauls_north_carolina_us.jpg

Goddess
jumpy.gif

A rooster is what you raise him to be. Much like a dog. A person can have a very mild mannered and child friendly pit bull, or it can be trained to kill. Same with a roo. If it is raised being handled and loved, he will more than likely NOT attack a family member. Roosters are territorial though. Introduce a predator or a stranger and all hell breaks loose.

Quote:
Honestly, both of these roos have been raised the same way.. We got Clucky when he was about 5 weeks old along with 3 week old chicks.. For the longest time, we thought he was a she because he took care of them and covered them at night to keep them warm.. Once he hit "puberty", he became more and more nasty.. I've tried the football hold, holding by his feet, etc and it will calm him down for a few minutes but as soon as I turn my back or I'm not paying attention, WHAM! I pulled his spurs off because I had gotten one in my hand when i was in there feeding them one day... Granted, he is an awesome roo... He is protective over his girls and likes to find them treats and that's why he's not in the pot because we have a lot of stray dogs and plenty of hawks in the area so when it comes to the girls, he definitely does his job... But, he refuses to see me as the head roo no matter what I do!

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Quote:
It's funny that you should mention pitbulls. I have a little 14 week old pitbull pup and found her curled up in the chicken tractor with some of the girls a few days ago. One big happy family! lol

As promised, here is another picture of Ollie.. Sorry, Clucky will not stay away from him and out of the pictures.. LOL

33603_2011-01-03_084758_st_pauls_north_carolina_us.jpg

33603_2011-01-03_084404_st_pauls_north_carolina_us.jpg

Goddess
jumpy.gif

ETA image

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom