1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What rooster to get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jc12551, Jan 12, 2011.

1. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    I am ordering 5 pullets of each of the following: Australorps, EE's, Dominiques, Buff Orps, Salmon Faverolles. They will be housed together in a common pen. Egg production and 'fun' only.

I would like to have one rooster (maybe 2?). What would be the best breed to choose to have a rooster in? And are these breeds compatible?

Do I need 2 roosters for a 25 hen flock or just one? If two should they be the same breed? The same size?

Thanks for the input.

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I recommend roosters of the same size, so one of them isn't at a disadvantage. However, on the subject of which breed, I'm at a total loss; I've only ever kept silkie roos [​IMG]

3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I think it's just up to personal taste, really. If you raise two roosters together, they can share twenty-five hens peacefully most likely. Of the breeds you're getting, I believe salmon faverolles are the calmest so that's one thing to take into account if you want a friendly rooster. EE roosters are often quite gorgeous, too, so that's another thing to think about.

Don't worry, you likely won't have any issues with those breeds mixing together. Most breeds can share a coop peacefully, even with huge differences in size. [​IMG]

4. grendel

grendel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Walbridge ohio
    Salmon faverolles are mellower roosters,than most.

5. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    Thanks for the input. I know I want a Salmon Faverolles rooster because they are just plain cool looking! I just can't decided which of the others.

Or course I might get a surprise rooster in my order and probably don't need to order another.

6. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    I'd say, if you were ordering 25 pullets then the decision might be made for you - no need to choose. I got an EE roo in with my order of 25 pullets..errr, 24 pullets. Meaning chicks, of course.
    He is a really nice rooster and does a great job watching over the girls. My neighbor's buff orp roo is huge and quite a looker.
    I have no experience with the other breeds as far as roos go.
    Your choices sound like they will make a very pretty little flock!

7. lauriruth

lauriruth Chillin' With My Peeps

I got an EE roo with my order of pullets. Let me just say...he is precious. sweet, tame, handsome and already taking his "job" very seriously at 10 wks. old. wish you were closer. i can't keep him. no roos in San Antonio. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by