What roster do I keep???

Quote:
I still have them both. I have been avoiding the DH on this matter.
wink.png
I have been watching them both looking for any reason to keep one over the other. The black one did mate with one of my sexlinks today and that was a fist since they got here 2 weeks ago. Now if I could get the hens to lay eggs to see what color they are. Hoping for blue
fl.gif

Really? 'Cause I would have pointed out to hubby that it wasn't his place to give away my birds and that he could go to his friend and apologize and tell the friend he had made a mistake and there is no rooster available for him.

Why do you allow your spouse to treat you with such disrespect?

x2 (or 3) on keeping the one that is more gentle...if one is. Ive dealt with a nice young roo, who became aggresive towards us and very protective of his girls. We had to rehome him because of this
sad.png

Hard decision you have to make.

You have a Blue Roo and a Splash Roo there.
If you have Blue hens, you will have more variety of color if you keep the Blue.
As for type and conformation, I can't see much with the Blue, but they are only 6 months old and they have some time left for maturing.
The Splash is pretty, but if you breed him to Blue hens you will get blues and Splash only. If you breed the Black to Blue hens, you will get Blue, Black and SPlash chicks from them.
It all depends on what you want.
If one has a better personality or treats the hens better than the others, then I would lean toward personality. I just had to put down my BLue Ameraucana roo this week because he was horrible to the hens and other roos. I don't want to keep breeding that in, so he is gone. It is a very bad feeling to have to do that since he was my only one, but I refuse to keep a roo who is that much of a problem. So, choose wisely there.
Good luck.
They are both good looking, pretty boys.
OH and you WILL get blue eggs. If they are purebreds, that is one feature that makes them so.

All is good now. The white rooster will go to to the friend, but thats OK. I got 18 fuzzy butts in the brooder now. Americanas and a few easter eggers. :)
54132_img_0729.jpg

54132_img_0732.jpg

54132_img_0720.jpg

My suggestion is keep them both till they finish out. Then keep the best one ( go to ameraucana breeders club to see standards and pics to help ) But don't get rid of the other one until you have had a successful hatch or two to verify fertility of chosen cock. And don't let them free range either, I always keep two cocks unfortunately this year my back up LF Silver Ameraucana was killed by a hawk while they were free ranging ( right before breeding season ). I thought i was lucky because it wasn't my BEST. Well i just tossed 26 infertile silver LF Ameraucana eggs 14days into my hatch. My BEST is infertile so my goal of hatching at least 100 silver chicks to get 10 breeders for next year is done. at least i have 15 gd black eggs and 26 blue wayne meredith eggs. And i talked to the breeder my silvers came from and going to buy a trio of silver s from him. Not until June though it is breeding season after all. So don't ever count on your BEST actually being your best is the lesson i learned this year oh yea and dont let them free range til after breeding season. Good Luck and welcome to the Ameraucana Breed it's the most addictive breed of all
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom