What sex? 8 weeks old

kristyw

In the Brooder
Nov 21, 2016
Carramar Perth Western Australia

I’m going to be interested in what others think and why on this one. At 8 weeks, I can’t see any wattles, which argues girl. The comb is prominent which says boy but very pale which says girl. I’d like to see it standing up for a better idea of posture but the legs look heavy, which argues boy. To me the general body shape looks masculine. The head looks kind of small, not sure what that means, but the general head shape is masculine.

I’d give this about a 90% to 95% chance of being a boy but recognizing I could be wrong. It’s the color of the comb that causes me to hesitate on going 100%. Don’t do anything drastic quite yet but plan for a male.

Agree with RidgeRunner, another pic may help in a different position and a little clearer towards the comb. I'm not really sure either but I'm going with female. :) Good Luck!

Last edited:
That chick is playing ambiguous!

I'm thinking boy because ... all of our boys seem to lay down more often than the girls. Kinda how yours is sitting in the picture.

Since I don't know the breed, makes it a bit more difficult though. I would be expecting a little more red by now for boy. Do you have any of the same breed for comparison?

Here were my girls around 8 weeks, they look about the same breed and age(mine look older maybe) ... these are females so yeah I'm changing my mind to cockerel.

Last edited:
Hi everyone thankyou so much for your replies!!...the breed is light sussex. I have two other chicks who look the same as each other who are much paler with rounded tails and hardly any comb development at all. I will send a pic of the tail (the suspect cockerel is the one underneath in the pic, darker tail and the feathers look a lot pointier and more defined)
I will try and get some more pics of the chicks posture tomorrow
1f60a.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom