What sex? 8 weeks old

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kristyw, Nov 27, 2016.

1. kristyw

kristyw Just Hatched

[​IMG]

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’m going to be interested in what others think and why on this one. At 8 weeks, I can’t see any wattles, which argues girl. The comb is prominent which says boy but very pale which says girl. I’d like to see it standing up for a better idea of posture but the legs look heavy, which argues boy. To me the general body shape looks masculine. The head looks kind of small, not sure what that means, but the general head shape is masculine.

I’d give this about a 90% to 95% chance of being a boy but recognizing I could be wrong. It’s the color of the comb that causes me to hesitate on going 100%. Don’t do anything drastic quite yet but plan for a male.

1 person likes this.
  3. JennaMW14

JennaMW14 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    Agree with RidgeRunner, another pic may help in a different position and a little clearer towards the comb. I'm not really sure either but I'm going with female. :) Good Luck!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

That chick is playing ambiguous!

I'm thinking boy because ... all of our boys seem to lay down more often than the girls. Kinda how yours is sitting in the picture.

Since I don't know the breed, makes it a bit more difficult though. I would be expecting a little more red by now for boy. Do you have any of the same breed for comparison?

1 person likes this.
  5. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Cockerel, although the comb is pale, it is a lot for 8 was. Looks to be getting some color to me.

1 person likes this.
  6. JennaMW14

JennaMW14 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    Here were my girls around 8 weeks, they look about the same breed and age(mine look older maybe) ... these are females so yeah I'm changing my mind to cockerel.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel

8. puffypoo22

puffypoo22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachussetts
    cockerel, but just to be sure, can we see the tail?

9. kristyw

kristyw Just Hatched

Hi everyone thankyou so much for your replies!!...the breed is light sussex. I have two other chicks who look the same as each other who are much paler with rounded tails and hardly any comb development at all. I will send a pic of the tail (the suspect cockerel is the one underneath in the pic, darker tail and the feathers look a lot pointier and more defined)
    I will try and get some more pics of the chicks posture tomorrow [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  10. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Yep, I think cockerel on the dark necked one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by