What sex are my duckies?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chicks&Chihuahuas, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Chicks&Chihuahuas

Chicks&Chihuahuas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    These are my 2 Mallards, Faux-Gras and Sally. One looks as though there may be a bit of crested somewhere down the line, as it has a funny little feather puff on one side of it's head.

[​IMG]

This is my crested duck "Mo"

[​IMG]

They were all hatched at the beginning of April. Both mallards have the purple/green wing tips. Both have lighter necks but there is no identifiable "white ring" at the base of either. At what age does it show up, and the green feathers?

Thanks!

2. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    both mallards appear to be drakes, the one in the bottom appears a hen. The head color looks like its just starting on the top of the mallards head.

3. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    Your Mallards look like my Mallard Drake. I have no idea on that pretty little on in the bottom pic though.

Michelle

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    I agree on their gender (the ''Mallards'' have green beaks, females have brown), but I am pretty sure your ''mallards'' are actually the domestic, non-flying type, Rouens. [​IMG] I have both Mallards and Rouens, and you can easily tell them apart; the Rouens are fatter and can't fly, while the Mallards can fly extremely well and are very small. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  5. Chicks&Chihuahuas

Chicks&Chihuahuas Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    Oh it would be just fine if they were actually Rouens. I got them from a breeder of exotic fowl, who said they are flying Mallards. She's been doing this for about 30 years, and she's spent 5 years as the curator of our local "Swan Lake" park. If the 2 "Mallards" are drakes I don't mind, as long as one of the 3 is a female (I had to use the whole "Egg" thing to talk the Englishman into the ducks in the first place, especially since they are messier than the chickens). They are like a little duckie mob, completely inseparable so as long as one is a girl, he's happy for us to keep all of them.

6. Happycheese

Happycheese Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2010
    Carlisle, PA
    I would definitely say the mallards are drakes just from the bill color. You will need to get more hens or give away one of the drakes though. 2.1.0 is not a good ratio [​IMG]

7. ottodog

ottodog Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Idaho Springs, CO
    Not to hijack, but at what age can you normally tell the sex of a Mallard?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by