What sex are the squabs

peterinhungary

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2017
I have heard that pigeons produce one male and one female from the clutch of 2 eggs. Is this correct or is the sex of the two hatchlings a random affair?

random there are some sex linked matings that you can tell by the color of the parents and color of babies there is a breed that is auto sexing meanjng the males at hatching are short down and females long down they are auto sexing Texas Pioneers

Nope, this is incorrect. If you have two males, two female, or one of each is all random chance. I have a pair right now that will have red males and black females.

Temperature nutrition and predisposition of parents for some reason seem to all play factor in experiments I've done n from observation of free flying and feral Pigeons even.
I've had isolated pairs only produce females and only males or rarely mixed or both otherwise around, based on how they incubate (I'm guessing), their temps weight feather density nesting material etc..
One female feral only produced hens as she kept eggs balanced on feet on concrete (she discarded nesting material I'd like to think because missing toe and part of another probably due to string and that first clutches seen some found dead with feathers in mouths throats crops n strings around babies), staying on eggs having female mate and male mates feed her. When a male died next male kicked her off nest and would sometimes produce two males. She was pudgy with tight hard small dense feathers and non on legs if it made any difference anyone would know. Plus if incubation temperatures vary if put in bator/s at different temps, or were hotter cooler. Pigeon eggs do seem least affected by heat though, but Pigeons usually develop good skills at coping with heat and cold whether kept up or especially free flying.

Last edited:
Temperature nutrition and predisposition of parents for some reason seem to all play factor in experiments I've done n from observation of free flying and feral Pigeons even.
I've had isolated pairs only produce females and only males or rarely mixed or both otherwise around, based on how they incubate (I'm guessing), their temps weight feather density nesting material etc..
One female feral only produced hens as she kept eggs balanced on feet on concrete (she discarded nesting material I'd like to think because missing toe and part of another probably due to string and that first clutches seen some found dead with feathers in mouths throats crops n strings around babies), staying on eggs having female mate and male mates feed her. When a male died next male kicked her off nest and would sometimes produce two males. She was pudgy with tight hard small dense feathers and non on legs if it made any difference anyone would know. Plus if incubation temperatures vary if put in bator/s at different temps, or were hotter cooler. Pigeon eggs do seem least affected by heat though, but Pigeons usually develop good skills at coping with heat and cold whether kept up or especially free flying.
Wow, that is very interesting! thanks for sharing the story!

I used to have colors and color mating down, but apparently I've come down with "the dumb" and cannot now seem to keep in my head at all..
Anyone know we're I could get color/color mating chart?

I like family lines where sexes easy tell once months old.
I find pelvic spacing doesn't work too good oddly but thickness of cere neck feathers sheen thickness there and in chest head etc thickness in established uniform family lines. If together oddly my hens usually eat first where if all females or all males they fight over, where females left to eat if not herded away to corner. In different family lines together I've seen hens larger than cocks of same breed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom