What sex is our Auracana?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cockyboy, Jun 23, 2010.

1. cockyboy

cockyboy New Egg

Jun 23, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    We just got our first chickens last week and couldn't be happier with our new family.

The wonderful lady we got them from sorted us out a great variety of 8 pullets, as we're only interested in keeping layers, to start with.

We were ever so pleased when she offered us this Araucana as we'd heard about the different coloured eggs they lay, but she did say it was difficult to sex Araucanas at a young age and couldn't be certain that it wasn't a rooster.

Unfortunately if she is a he then we won't be able to keep him, so we'd be really grateful if anyone can tell us the sex from these phhotos, or provide advise on things to look for so that we can sex it as it gets older.

Also, I've read many articles about Araucanas actually being Easter Eggers, so was also wondering if anybody knew whether ours is the real thing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Many thanks

Paul.

2. rb roosting

rb roosting Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    dont take it to the bank but from the pics it looks like a rooster to me. kinda new to this but feathers look pointy on the ends (on the hackles i think) means rooster rounded would be hen except for sebrights roosters have hen looking feathers. as far as araucana i dont know just getting started with ameraucana's myself. either way your at the right place alot of info and wise people on this sight gd luck

3. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Not an Araucana, It be a EE.
    As for gender it looks like a hen to me [​IMG]

4. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    It's definitely an EE hen - no doubt!

5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    It is an Easter Egger(mix that carries the blue egg gene) not Araucana. Can you post a pic of it's back and tail?

6. gaillardia

gaillardia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2010
    Larkspur, CO
    Looks like my EE pullet. My EE roo had a very red comb at that age.

7. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    I would say pullet. How old is she?

8. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    here are some pics of two of my EE roos they are only a couple months old. I believe what you have if a female for sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Congrats on your new additions. But your Araucana is not an Araucana, as was already stated, it's an EE=Easter Egger. I'm thinking pullet. [​IMG]

10. Donald2010

Donald2010 New Egg

Jun 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by