What sex is our Auracana?

cockyboy

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 23, 2010
Nova Scotia
We just got our first chickens last week and couldn't be happier with our new family.

The wonderful lady we got them from sorted us out a great variety of 8 pullets, as we're only interested in keeping layers, to start with.

We were ever so pleased when she offered us this Araucana as we'd heard about the different coloured eggs they lay, but she did say it was difficult to sex Araucanas at a young age and couldn't be certain that it wasn't a rooster.

Unfortunately if she is a he then we won't be able to keep him, so we'd be really grateful if anyone can tell us the sex from these phhotos, or provide advise on things to look for so that we can sex it as it gets older.

Also, I've read many articles about Araucanas actually being Easter Eggers, so was also wondering if anybody knew whether ours is the real thing?

61372_dsc02658.jpg

61372_dsc02657.jpg

61372_dsc02648.jpg

Many thanks

Paul.

dont take it to the bank but from the pics it looks like a rooster to me. kinda new to this but feathers look pointy on the ends (on the hackles i think) means rooster rounded would be hen except for sebrights roosters have hen looking feathers. as far as araucana i dont know just getting started with ameraucana's myself. either way your at the right place alot of info and wise people on this sight gd luck

here are some pics of two of my EE roos they are only a couple months old. I believe what you have if a female for sure.

56502_al2.jpg

56502_chow.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom