What sex is this goose?

MillersFarm

Easily distracted by Chickens
5 Years
Jun 3, 2016
Lewiston NY
Hello~ :frow I just recently got back from a flock swap and brought home 3 Geese with me, The owner said that the gray one is a goose and that the biggest one is a Gander, And he says he thinks the smaller white one is a Gander as well, But i'm not entirely sure. Can anyone help me out? The African and the larger white one (Not sure what breed) are 3 years old and the smaller white is is just about a year old.. Any guesses on Gender?
IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

The large white one is definitely a gander and the brown one is likely a goose, as you were told. My guess is that the other white one is a goose if it's not fighting with the gander. But I'm not positive so you'll need more input. Hopefully Miss Lydia or another waterfowl expert will stop by and help out.

That's not an African goose..u have a brown Chinese and two white Chinese geese....brown is def a female and large white is def a male..the smaller white does look like a female but cant be sure. Are u able to take a pic of just that one where it's not behind the other two?

The large white one is definitely a gander and the brown one is likely a goose, as you were told. My guess is that the other white one is a goose if it's not fighting with the gander. But I'm not positive so you'll need more input. Hopefully Miss Lydia or another waterfowl expert will stop by and help out.
They don't fight but I was told that the Gander raised the one i'm trying to figure out what sex it is.. I forgot @Miss Lydia Raises Geese! Thank you for replying~

That's not an African goose..u have a brown Chinese and two white Chinese geese....brown is def a female and large white is def a male..the smaller white does look like a female but cant be sure. Are u able to take a pic of just that one where it's not behind the other two?
Thank you~ The for sure goose did look a little small for an African.. The white Gander is pretty big, Easily stands past my waist. I'll see If i have a pic of the white one be herself.. Fingers crossed it's a she, I just ordered a pair of African geese so I don't want too many ganders, Also. When do Geese normally start laying and for how long?

looking at the picture, the heads from right to left.
gander, goose, goose.
look at their under bellies. the goose's rudder will hang down like a pouch,
the gander's belly will be tight and flat.
The brown goose definitely has a noticeable rudder, But the white one doesn't really have one, It's very small and doesn't hang down much..

When do Geese normally start laying and for how long?[/QUOTE]
These geese should start laying probably late spring. They will probably stop early fall for about 4 or 5 months.

@MillersFarm They are lovely. Does look like you have 2 females and 1 gander. The smallest is still young so may have to wait a while for that one. Watch for mating. Another way to tell is knob size look how big the knob is on your gander compared to the females. Mine start breeding late winter around mid Feb and laying begins usually in March and ends once female goes broody or end of May. I understand Chinese can also lay in fall of the year too.

Back
Top Bottom