what sex??

streemers

Songster
11 Years
Oct 13, 2008
port orchard,WA
okay i bought 15 roos from a lady to butcher but when i got them last night it was dark and i think i might have a hen or 2. i have never raised chickens and didnt plan on it but if i do have a hen or 2 i would keep them. i could always use more eggs;) how can i tell whats a roo from a hen?
also she gave me a bunch of bantams? how big will they get?
i got road island reds, cornish and something else but i cant tell whats a boy and whats a girl help!

Pics would be nice
smile.png

Yes, pictures are needed to help. But, Roosters wobbles and combs will be larger than the hens and their saddle feathers, which are the feathers near the base of the tail and to the middle of the back, are pinted and hang down more than the hens rounded tip saddle feathers

I see some definite roosters and a couple that are hard to tell - at 7 months of age, the pullets would have big combs too, then they'd probably be laying.

The one chicken I see that really looks like a hen to me is the barred rock drinking from the blue swimming pool - that one looks like a mature pullet (unless you can see pointed saddle feathers hanging down near his tail). From the view I have - it looks like a female - the dark coloring especially (males are usually a lot lighter).

Back
Top Bottom