What shape of roosts do you use in your chicken coop?

What shape of roosts do you use?

• Round

Votes: 70 35.2%
  • Square

Votes: 30 15.1%
  • Square, tilted

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Rectangle

Votes: 24 12.1%
  • Rectangle, tilted

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Rectangle, flat side up

Votes: 114 57.3%

• Total voters
Pics
Just stumbled over an old article I read here in the UK and reminded me of this thread. It's very interesting, although they don't link to the source info: https://www.yourchickens.co.uk/care-and-advice/the-perfect-perch-1-2842822

Thanks, I had not seen that article or the German study it referenced. It was an interesting read. I could not find that study but I'll admit I did not search really hard. Maybe someone else more diligent would have better results.

The results of a study like this will depend on the assumptions they make when setting up the study and the criteria they judge it by. Why did they choose the size perches they tested? I'd love to see why they chose to not test a large diameter round perch or a wide flat perch, for example. Are their assumptions on the importance of pressure that important? Would other factors perhaps be more important? Not just mites but maybe how much below freezing or how hot it might be? I'm sure there are others.

They make a good case for what they are studying but I consider it more one piece of the puzzle and not the entire picture.

Attachments

• 179D75C4-3A3A-4C1C-87EA-0993135716D1.jpeg
    179D75C4-3A3A-4C1C-87EA-0993135716D1.jpeg
    491.6 KB · Views: 8
  • CE7B9B07-7017-4C33-A114-08C50398CD75.jpeg
    CE7B9B07-7017-4C33-A114-08C50398CD75.jpeg
    585.9 KB · Views: 8
  • E56893C0-6701-4B7A-BCE9-9DB3EF7CB2D4.png
    E56893C0-6701-4B7A-BCE9-9DB3EF7CB2D4.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
Thanks, I had not seen that article or the German study it referenced. It was an interesting read. I could not find that study but I'll admit I did not search really hard. Maybe someone else more diligent would have better results.

The results of a study like this will depend on the assumptions they make when setting up the study and the criteria they judge it by. Why did they choose the size perches they tested? I'd love to see why they chose to not test a large diameter round perch or a wide flat perch, for example. Are their assumptions on the importance of pressure that important? Would other factors perhaps be more important? Not just mites but maybe how much below freezing or how hot it might be? I'm sure there are others.

They make a good case for what they are studying but I consider it more one piece of the puzzle and not the entire picture.
Just stumbled over an old article I read here in the UK and reminded me of this thread. It's very interesting, although they don't link to the source info: https://www.yourchickens.co.uk/care-and-advice/the-perfect-perch-1-2842822

I'm familiar with that article too but the only problem with adding things to the outside of the perches is if you have an outbreak of mites it gives them lots of cracks and crevices to hide in and avoid the treatment that will kill them.
I most fascinating topical addition.

Regarding the idea that wrapping rubber bike tubes around the perch, that is really neat; and to think they studied the pressure points and pressure pad/zones as well? Awesome data points to consider, for sure.

Regarding the fear of mites infiltration into the rubber "underside" or "folds" pre-supposes the installer was ignornant or mearly careless in the install. Given the level of interest in the topic and this thread also referencing the two cool research threads on here... I'd like to offer a suggestion on the likely hood of mites getting into the rubber edges or truly underneath it.... It is likely, given there size that some could get in the cracks/folds of the rubber... Just like the rings on the ends of a Dowling rod of wood. *IF* someone were to wrap a Dowling rod with an inner tube like the handle of a tennis racket it is very likely the mite would try to stick in that folder over zone.

However I'd like to suggest that the bug spray would likely stick to those cavities like a "Jolly Rancher's sour apple to your tooth."

As for size and shape of perch... I posted in that thread (here) what tests I had repeated from the thread....

I'm not in fear of mites being a huge problem with the rubber tube sealed on one end by electrical tape and wound snug around the wood Dowling ... A light soaking of pymythryn(sp) aught to do the trick?

I most fascinating topical addition.

Regarding the idea that wrapping rubber bike tubes around the perch, that is really neat; and to think they studied the pressure points and pressure pad/zones as well? Awesome data points to consider, for sure.

Regarding the fear of mites infiltration into the rubber "underside" or "folds" pre-supposes the installer was ignornant or mearly careless in the install. Given the level of interest in the topic and this thread also referencing the two cool research threads on here... I'd like to offer a suggestion on the likely hood of mites getting into the rubber edges or truly underneath it.... It is likely, given there size that some could get in the cracks/folds of the rubber... Just like the rings on the ends of a Dowling rod of wood. *IF* someone were to wrap a Dowling rod with an inner tube like the handle of a tennis racket it is very likely the mite would try to stick in that folder over zone.

However I'd like to suggest that the bug spray would likely stick to those cavities like a "Jolly Rancher's sour apple to your tooth."

As for size and shape of perch... I posted in that thread (here) what tests I had repeated from the thread....

I'm not in fear of mites being a huge problem with the rubber tube sealed on one end by electrical tape and wound snug around the wood Dowling ... A light soaking of pymythryn(sp) aught to do the trick?
Some of us have had enough battles with red mites that we don't want to give them any more hiding places. And long acting permethrin sprays do not work on the ones I've been battling. I now have painted, removable roosts to reduce the places they can hide and the ease with which I can treat the roosts.

Red mites have 5 life stages - eggs, larvae, protonymphs, deutonymphs and adults. The adults are not that big, but the previous stages are tiny and able to squeeze into the tiniest of spaces. It's just not worth the risk for those of us whose climate is favourable to red mites.

I use a limb that is about 3” in diameter. It’s from an orange tree so the bark is smooth. It got even smoother after a few months of use. I wrapped part of it with neoprene (wetsuit material) so they could grab hold. They definitely prefer the neoprene part over the unwrapped part. There is also a square wooden bar that they rarely use.

In the end I did try wrapping our perches with rubber insulating tape. It didn't really seem to make a difference to the chickens themselves and I found it quite hard to work with in the end - as the edges got dusty and dry they came away from perch and did make good crevices for mites, and of course once you start spraying/powdering permethrin or similar into those crevices then you just make the tape unstick even more.

I'm glad I tried it and I expect someone else could do a much better job than me, depending on their choice of tubing/tape and size of perches and so on. I took the tape off in the end and am getting on much better now, having gotten on top of mites using permethrin products and also vaseline on the ends of the perches and in any crevices.

Our primary perch set-up is actually a pair of parallel perches, connected (sort of like a ladder with just a rung at either end to keep it together), resting on two old milk crates on a table. The wood is probably about 4cm across, square, without rough edges. Can't say they are super smooth or particularly rounded either, but we have never had any problems caused by them. We do have ramps up to our perches which I think really helps - pretty much all our chickens use the ramps instead of jumping up and down.

We have had up to 20 chickens so we do also have a few other odd perches around the coop too, but they are all square and wood of similar width.

Back
Top Bottom