What shape of roosts do you use in your chicken coop?

What shape of roosts do you use?

• Round

Votes: 70 35.2%
  • Square

Votes: 30 15.1%
  • Square, tilted

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Rectangle

Votes: 24 12.1%
  • Rectangle, tilted

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Rectangle, flat side up

Votes: 114 57.3%

• Total voters
Pics
If you read this experiment you'll see that they don't care if the roosts are flat, round, narrow, or wide. People do but chickens don't.

Perch Experiment

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-perch-experiment.74272/

If you look at this photo you'll see that the can actually grip.
roost grip.JPG

This photo is my main roosts, made from tree branches. I used them because an ice storm the previous winter made them available when I needed something.
Brooder Bins.JPG

This photo shows my juvenile roost, a 2x4 on edge. I used it because it was available when I needed something.
Juvenile Roost.JPG

I did some experimenting myself before the guy that did the experiment documented above. I used tree branches, 2x4's flat, 2x4's on edge and reached the same conclusion he did. People care about this but chickens don't.

Huh. Six or seven votes but not many comments. We have 2x4's laid flat as roosts, as chickens don't grip with their feet like songbirds. They need a wide, flat surface. Songbirds and parrots grip with their toes and hunker down as they sleep. The more they relax and the lower their bodies sink, the more tightly the tendon in their leg grips the branch, so the more deeply they sleep, the more tightly they grasp. Not so with chickens!

I voted rectangle, flat side up, for my 2x4s laying flat. My Buff Orpingtons are big birds, and they like to lay down, covering their big ol feet. I asked my hens which one they prefer, but I couldn't understand a word they said. Unfortunately, I'm only fluent in turkey. :p
Fluent in turkey? I would love to learn Coturnix Quail. Then maybe they wouldn't be so frightened of me.

Back
Top Bottom