What shape of roosts do you use in your chicken coop?

What shape of roosts do you use?

• Round

Votes: 70 35.2%
  • Square

Votes: 30 15.1%
  • Square, tilted

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Rectangle

Votes: 24 12.1%
  • Rectangle, tilted

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Rectangle, flat side up

Votes: 114 57.3%

• Total voters
Pics
I voted rectangle, flat side up, for my 2x4s laying flat. My Buff Orpingtons are big birds, and they like to lay down, covering their big ol feet. I asked my hens which one they prefer, but I couldn't understand a word they said. Unfortunately, I'm only fluent in turkey. :p
Fluent in turkey? I would love to learn Coturnix Quail. Then maybe they wouldn't be so frightened of me.

Huh. Six or seven votes but not many comments. We have 2x4's laid flat as roosts, as chickens don't grip with their feet like songbirds. They need a wide, flat surface. Songbirds and parrots grip with their toes and hunker down as they sleep. The more they relax and the lower their bodies sink, the more tightly the tendon in their leg grips the branch, so the more deeply they sleep, the more tightly they grasp. Not so with chickens!

I did rectangle, flat side up. I think my chickens really like their roosts, but then again, when I first got chickens, I had no idea what I was doing and bought a coop that had roosts about two inches off the ground and was very small, so I think they like their new roosts a lot better anyhow. I find them pretty easy to clean and they work great for my hen who has nerve damage. It's easy for her to balance. :)

We have rectangle flat side up. With bamboo from around our yard interwoven between the two roosts. My chickens are wild caught jungle fowl so they like all kinds of mixed up worlds. My free range girls had 16 chicks we wrangled 9.
faeda307-cfaa-46de-ad0a-3dd07b41bc61-jpeg.2272791

Back
Top Bottom