What should I do about my bloated goat?

Missy020219

Songster
Dec 18, 2019
Buick Creek, British Columbia, Canada
I have 2 goats both males, the same age, one is a Mini, and the other is a mini/fainting goat. My mini goat was not acting like himself when I went to feed them this evening. Usually, he butts heads with the other goat to get food but he wasn't even eating and usually, he's the first at the gate but today he stayed farther away. He always gets the most feed because he eats super fast and then runs over to the other goat's dish and eats what he had left. The other goat is on the thin side. I think the mini is bloated and I don't know how to fix it. Any advice?

Thanks, L.G.

Generally baking soda will help. I've also read gas x can help. How is it doing?

It's best to severely limit grains in goats, especially whethers. I always provide free access to baking soda which helps goats avoid some stomach problems. Goats have very sensitive digestive tracts and can die from rapid changes or too much grain. Hopefully your goat is doing okay.

Generally baking soda will help. I've also read gas x can help. How is it doing?

It's best to severely limit grains in goats, especially whethers. I always provide free access to baking soda which helps goats avoid some stomach problems. Goats have very sensitive digestive tracts and can die from rapid changes or too much grain. Hopefully your goat is doing okay.
He's doing a little better. He was fighting with the other goat this morning, which I think is a good sign. Should I stop feeding him for a bit? So should I give them Baking Soda? We feed them cracked wheat and once in a while they escape the fence and eat whatever.

I have a separate feeder with baking soda. Mine consume it as they need it. I would not feed any grains for a while, or never. Grains can cause bloat, and they can cause fixed male goats to develop bladder stones which are often deadly. Any roughage, grass hay, browse, is good generally. I'm glad he's doing okay.

Minerals too. No to grains except for an occasional handful to avoid problems in whethers, if that's what yours are.

Back
Top Bottom