What should I do about Poopy-feather butt?

Lori J

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2017
One of my hens has poopy feathers on her backend. It’s been like this for a while should I try to soak her in a bath? Or is that not a good idea?
FF17919E-1DCA-43A6-A279-A4F8C5771D46.png
FF17919E-1DCA-43A6-A279-A4F8C5771D46.png
She also often has Poopy eggs. My other hens eggs are always clean as a whistle.

I'd give her a trim.
Cut the poopy feathers off about 1/2" from the skin.
'Nose hair' scissors with their sharpness and blunt tips are perfect for this job.
Then you can get a good look at her vent and the skin around it for any other possible issues

Here's what I'd do if I were you.
1. Give her a nice bath. Chickens like the spa treatment IMO. A 5-gallon bucket to wash and one of clear water to rinse. Rinse well. You can add a bit of vinegar into the rinse water. Lots of information on bathing chickens -- mostly probably under getting ready to put them in a show.
2. Dry her off well and keep away from drafts and cold winds when she's wet. You can towel dry her or even go so far as to use a blow-dryer on her feathers. She will look fluffy and beautiful when finished.
3. Consider adding vinegar to her water at the rate of 1TBSP to a gallon. This helps the pH in the chickens gut. Also helps absorb calcium.
4. Consider a vitamin in the water -- one that has probiotics.
5. Keep an eye on her -- she may need a bath from time to time.
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom