What should I do after my chick has sour crop?

CIuck

Songster
Jun 3, 2020
Conneticut
I just did the no food but with water method, she seems to be semi flat exept for a tiny bump, also the bump gets a lot bigger when she eats, is that normal? He bump when she eats is still a little bit bigger then the other ones, I am feeding her only 3 small meals a day, she is still separed from her flock, the meal consistes of grit, organic chicken food and scrambled eggs, I will do this for 3 days, what else should I do for her after, what if it is not truly gone?

Have you dealt with sour crop before? Are you sure your hen had sour crop? Some birds have enlarged crops, and some may get a condition called pendulum crop where the crop actually hangs down and will be an issue.

I have a hen who was on the verge of pendulum crop, but never quite got so big as to be a problem. She is a glutton and will eat a lot, filling her crop full, much larger than the other hens.

I ask this because if she did have sour crop, just withholding food won’t take care of it. It’s a yeast infection that needs to be taken care of. The crop normally gets bigger throughout the day as they eat, but by morning it will be flat again.

Have you dealt with sour crop before? Are you sure your hen had sour crop? Some birds have enlarged crops, and some may get a condition called pendulum crop where the crop actually hangs down and will be an issue.

I have a hen who was on the verge of pendulum crop, but never quite got so big as to be a problem. She is a glutton and will eat a lot, filling her crop full, much larger than the other hens.

I ask this because if she did have sour crop, just withholding food won’t take care of it. It’s a yeast infection that needs to be taken care of. The crop normally gets bigger throughout the day as they eat, but by morning it will be flat again.
Yes, she very much had sour crop.

Back
Top Bottom