What should I do? Calling all moms and Dads....

Chicken Fruit

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Echo Homestead
Iam batting around this idea, and I was wondering what other moms or parents think.

I keep a kid after school, her parents work and she's often among other people out and about with kids and stuff. She's had this ridiculous cough for at least two weeks now, and was sick with a cold for 10 days or better before that, and then was sick with something else a few weeks prior to THAT. So I know her little immune system is taxed. Plus she's a girl, you know how touchy feely girls are... She's in all sorts of activities, plus school, and her parents take her our with them to social gatherings and taverns quite often.

Okay, thats in the back of your mind.

I have a two year old. And with this swine flu thing going around (its in our county and the neighboring one where we do our grocery shopping) I am wondering if I should ask them to find some where else for her to go for a little while.

Iam really honestly torn between over reacting, and protecting my child.

I will say this, if the girl were mine I'd have her out of school the rest of the year or until things cool down. I'd homeschool instead.

Without being a total tool or fanatic, does it seem reasonable?

Maybe I should add too that earlier this year I really felt like the Lord was telling me to stay out of the cities for the year because of sickness. I blew it off as just me being influenced by some other outside thing. But I stocked up on some hand sanitizer at the time anyway... and now here's this happening... I suppose that makes me sound even MORE ridiculous.

*sigh* I wish there was a book with all the "where to draw the lines" Between protecting your child and being a freak.

Personally, if it was in my county and the child you watch is sick most of the time I wouldn't watch her anymore. I know many may will disagree... but the health of my child comes first and foremost. I would also pray about it.

Last edited:
I'm sorry you're put in this situation...and I can hear the agony in your post, so first and foremost
hugs.gif
to ya.

If it were me - I would simply tell the parents that you've noticed for the past week or so their DD has been sick and with everything going on, you need to keep your own child and self healthy at this point in time. If they can take her to the doctor and provide proof that she isnt contagious (no, not just about Swine flu... just in general) then when she's much better, you will resume taking care of her. But until then, you cannot have your own child or yourself sick in the process.

Any parent worth their weight will understand - swine flu or not. If they dont...then they only see you as a means to their issues, and not as the caring provider you are.

Ditto. If she were in any kind of after school care facility, the parents would have been called to come get her and she couldn't return without a permission slip from a doctor. Good Luck to you, I know it's hard.

You are not a freak. Any flu virus is dangerous. The regular old flu is commonly fatal to those with weakened immune systems, i.e., the very young, elderly, and those with comprimised immune systems. Schools and daycare providers are not supposed to accept kids when they are sick and contagious and there is no reasonable expectation that you should either, especially when the situation is chronic.

Since the girl has had the cough for 10 days and gets sick often then
I would be more worried about her than my own child. She obvioulsy
has a weaker immune system for unknown reasons. Speak to her
parents.

Our kids are exposed to thousands of viruses and diseases on a daily
basis. Trying to shield them actually hurts them. Children have
extremely strong immune systems and their systems need to learn
how to deal with all the pathogens out there.

Unless your child has an immunity disorder or you are aware of someone
with something severe like TB I wouldn't worry at all. Do what you can
to help the little girl. Speak to her parents. Watch what she is eating.
A lingering cough this time of year could be allergies or an asmatic thing.

She was sick but not so sick that she couldnt attend school. It was just a long lingering cold- we all ended up with it, but I think she actually got it from US. The time before that she was home one day and then over the weekend with it. My thought was just that she's already weakened. I dont flip out about regular colds and things like that, but more serious things like strep or the flu... and especially THIS flu going around...

We all need to put a check on our "swine flu" fears. If you research other
diseases you will see that there are worse things killing more people but
simply are not getting the media attention.

Swine Flu doesn't phase me at all. It's almost amusing to watch the
circus of politicians and media morons fluff up their feathers.

I can't do anything about swine flu. That's in God's hands.

Amos, there's nothing wrong with you being worried about your kid.
That's just part of being a Good Mom.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
I don't blame you at all. I have been loosing sleep over this. I think should we pull our children out of school, stay away from malls and things. This is so scary.

Back
Top Bottom