What should I do? Cull or wait?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NicInNC, Apr 28, 2009.

  1. NicInNC

    NicInNC Chillin' With My Peeps

    517
    2
    153
    Jun 23, 2008
    North Carolina
    Yesterday, Omelet seemed so much better. Then today, she took a turn for the worse. I just went out and she is so congested. When she breathes, it sounds watery. Her comb looks all dried up again and is laying to the side, she's so weak that she can't stand up straight and she isn't eating or drinking now.

    Do we cull or continue the Tylan? How long does it generally take for the Tylan to show signs of improvement? WWYD? She's not even a year old. [​IMG]
     
  2. chicksahoy

    chicksahoy Out Of The Brooder

    73
    0
    39
    Dec 24, 2008
    cedaredge
    personally i dont know how long tylan takes to show effectiveness, but i would wait, give her food water and quiet if thats possible. and see if she makes it.
     
  3. chickenhick

    chickenhick Chillin' With My Peeps

    164
    0
    119
    Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Well....I am the eternal optimist....If it were me, I guess I would wait..but I am not always right....I just traveled 100 miles round trip to an emergency vet regarding my guinea pig to have them tell me that they don't see small animals. Geez. No one but me would have gone to that much trouble for a GP. See how she is tomorrow. If you decide to put her down, can you do it or will you have to find someone else to do it?
     
  4. Renee

    Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    I'd wait.

    You can give her drops of 50-50 water and pedialyte on her beak to keep her hydrated.

    I had a chicken I swore was a goner- could not even lift her head. She recovered.
     
  5. Judy

    Judy Moderator Staff Member

    34,028
    453
    448
    Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Oh my goodness. I remember your other thread about her, and I know you are already doing what can be done.

    I am not going to give you an opinion here. Not really even sure what I would do, anyway.

    Worst case scenario: I do hope you will look into necropsy if you lose her, and let us know. Hopefully it can be done by the state for a minimal or no charge. I know you've done the research, so you already know how it could affect the rest of your flock. My vet does not usually treat chickens but is well versed in what is available in the state.

    So sorry you are having to deal with this.
     
  6. Judy

    Judy Moderator Staff Member

    34,028
    453
    448
    Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    On the Tylan -- I have never given it, but remember she improved at first when you did. If she is worse now, I am afraid it has done all it is going to do for her. I've seen that happen in people more than once.
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by