What should I do for lonely chick in a brooder?

mom2chicksandpups

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Southeast Alabama
I bought several chicks from a lady at a flea market Saturday and my husband has already fussed at me for buying from a bad breeder. I have this rescue thing in me where I thought I could bring them home and give them a better home than they had with her. She had a sealed plastic box full of chicks with no air holes and I had to "rescue" some of my favorites from the box. Plus they were so cute and I've got this chicken addiction....

Anyway, I got 3 Araucanas that started acting sickly after we got home. Two of them kept laying out flat and just acting kind of lethargic. The Turkens that I bought with them were picking on them and laying on their heads. (Maybe nature's way of weeding out the sick and weak?) We separated them from the others because they didn't seem well. One died last night and I just found a 2nd one dead. The 3rd chick seems so much healthier than the others. It is moving around, eating well, etc. We have it in a small brooder by itself with a heat lamp and I've been keeping check on it fairly often.

Do you guys have any recommendations to help this chick? Does it help to put a towel or stuffed animal or something in there for it to sleep next to?

These guys were the favorites of my 9-year-old daughter. She named the prettiest one Brownie. Brownie died last night, but she looked this morning and convinced herself that it wasn't Brownie who died, but another. I let her think this, but now the other has died. The 3rd looks quite a bit different, so I don't think she will be fooled this time. It's going to break her little heart. I do want to keep our new "Brownie" alive if at all possible.

RIP Brownie
28482_027.jpg

Any way you could go buy, borrow or beg one or two more chicks? That would be best.

Yes, a towel or stuffed animal is much better than nothing. A feather duster is also recommended -- makes sense to me, feathers -- someone here also had good luck with an old wool sweater. And a little mirror.

Thanks. I want to put him back with the Turken chicks, but my husband is afraid it may be sick also. They were all together before, so I don't see the harm in it now. I may try it out and watch them for a while to see if they accept him back.

I had one little lonely one last night. I tried a stuffed animal and a mirror, but the only thing she wanted was for me to hold her. I ended up going to TSC and buying another 8 chicks to keep her company.

Quote:
Don't tempt me to buy more. I don't need encouragement.
jumpy.gif

I put it in with the turken chicks and rolled a small towel up in the corner where it keeps going. They aren't pecking at it so far, so I will keep my fingers crossed.
fl.gif

My daughter took one look and told me this one wasn't her Brownie. She took it better than I thought she would, though.

You could put a mirror in there until you get another chick. I did this until I was able to find another baby, it kept her happy for a few days....
And its funny to watch her watch herself..
lol.png

if your buying more chicks why can't he go back with the ones he was with?

But you can put a stuffed toy in the brooder with him and he will lay by it and quit cherping

Back
Top Bottom