What should I do? Free chicks!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by horsejody, Mar 6, 2008.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    As I have said in previous posts, I ordered 12 Black Jersey Giant eggs from Ideal. 4 hatched, and 1 wasn't a BJG. I e-mailed Ideal a picture of the mystery chick and asked if they could identify it. So far, they haven't, but they have offerred to send me 12 BJG chicks FREE OF CHARGE!!! OMG!! I didn't ask for that. I wasn't even complaining. I have 3 giants hatched and 10 in the bator. I only need a few. The rest I was going to give to 4H kids. I don't know if I can find enough 4H kids to take that many extra. But how do you turn down a deal like that? I am down to 6 adult chickens. I was going to add a few giants, 5 barred rock pullets (already ordered) and look for a few white leghorn pullets at an upcoming auction. What would I do with 12 extras!! What would you guys do?

2. moonlitfarms

moonlitfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Indiana
    Are you crazy asking that question here?!?! [​IMG]

3. Kaneke

Kaneke Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:ditto -- you CANNOT have too many chickens ! what a deal ...

4. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    You could go ahead and get them and then send them on to me??? [​IMG]

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* I'd take a hen as company for Chook-- Might end up with my picture on the post office wall, tho. . . . but, what the heck!!

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Hey, if you wanna come up for a visit, I'll give ya some!! Just bring that cute little thing in your avator!

7. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Have them shipped to an alternate address.Like maybe mine? [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Are they straight run? If so, you can eat the roos and keep all the girls in a sizable stock!

9. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

*I have cousins coming down from NB @ the end of the month, HJ--- [​IMG]

10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I have a message in to the 4H office. If there are enough kids in the 4H poultry clubs that want them, I will have them sent. I would love to have them all but my coop is only about 12 x 20. They free range in the summer, but are closed up in the winter. I just don't like to have them crowded. I suppose I could sell them at the auction, but I would always worry about where they went.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by