What should I do? Hurt leg?

purpleRooster

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 13, 2015
Yesterday, this baby chick was 110% fine, but then lastnight I noticed it was all the sudden limping and laying down. I checked for bumblefoot and nothing. I’m not sure what could’ve happened really but I’m wanting to help this chick out so bad. I hate to see it just lay there and limp. Also, it’s feathers look rough and I’m not sure if it’s because it’s sick or something else.

Can you post some photos?
How old is the chick?
What's the poop look like?
How is she house?

Can the chick walk at all or is it huddling?
3C0A06BC-7013-4323-A5C7-6B4730D3837F.jpeg

How old is the chick?
How is she house?

A26B5AB7-81A3-42CD-887F-5FA45AC43D78.jpeg

Attachments

• C424288B-5AF1-4327-B5FF-E50B004C73E3.jpeg
    C424288B-5AF1-4327-B5FF-E50B004C73E3.jpeg
    928.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 850B18E7-0CBB-46AB-A8BB-112DB6A36AB2.jpeg
    850B18E7-0CBB-46AB-A8BB-112DB6A36AB2.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 2
How old is the chick?
How is she house?

It’s 3 weeks old and the poop is normal. It’ll start to stand up, hobble over to where it wants to go, and just collapse

It’s 3 weeks old and the poop is normal. It’ll start to stand up, hobble over to where it wants to go, and just collapse
That doesn't sound too good does it.

Looks like some feather picking on the back, the others may be picking at him.
Left leg, take a look at the scales - is there a break in the scales - can you tell if that's just superficial tissue damage or a little deeper - any green bruising?
He's got some thick legs on him, what breed is this supposed to be?

I would observe to see if he's getting trampled or picked on a lot - if so, then placing him by a barrier would be good. You want him to still see and hear the others. I would get some human B-Complex and give him 1/4 tablet once a day for a week.
The damage on the back is minimal and he should feather out o.k. I would check his vent just to make sure it's not been picked too.
Get a good look at his poop, photos of that would be good too. A puppy pad under him overnight is a good way to capture poop.

That doesn't sound too good does it.

Looks like some feather picking on the back, the others may be picking at him.
Left leg, take a look at the scales - is there a break in the scales - can you tell if that's just superficial tissue damage or a little deeper - any green bruising?
He's got some thick legs on him, what breed is this supposed to be?

I would observe to see if he's getting trampled or picked on a lot - if so, then placing him by a barrier would be good. You want him to still see and hear the others. I would get some human B-Complex and give him 1/4 tablet once a day for a week.
The damage on the back is minimal and he should feather out o.k. I would check his vent just to make sure it's not been picked too.
Get a good look at his poop, photos of that would be good too. A puppy pad under him overnight is a good way to capture poop.
Awesome! Thank you so much! When I get home from work I will do that and upload more pics! I isolated the chick lastnight and added some probiotics and electrolytes to some water and put it in there with it too! I did however look at is left leg again and tried moving it to see if it reacted to any pain and it didn’t seem to react much, but i feel like almost it’s paralyzed or something? I moved it with ease and the chick never really moved his leg on its on

Back
Top Bottom