What should I do? Re-home?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by clinkski, Sep 26, 2011.

1. clinkski

clinkski Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Waterbury Center, VT
    I am having a bit of trouble with my flock integration. I have 4 one year old hens (1 BR & 3 golden comets) and got 3 five week old RIR's in July. They were separated in the the main coop for 8 weeks and started free ranging and open in the coop at 13 weeks. I know that was fairly young but they were getting too big for the separate area and we were leaving for vacation. Now, at 16 weeks, they sleep together in the roost but probably because the 16 week olds are scared and run up there. They are still afraid of the big girls and will run off even one hen even looks at them..I have one hen that is particularly threatening to them. She chases them, gives random pecks, keeps them from food, etc., a troublemaker overall. Should I re-home her? Will that help the situation? Should I just wait it oout? Will this ever work out? They are all just about the same size now and I have to be able to keep them in the coop soon since winter in Vermont in cold and snowy. HELP!!!

2. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    Maybe try seperating the trouble maker during the day. If they are roosting and eating, I would probably wait it out.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    I wouldn't get rid of her because as soon as you do the next hen on the ladder will assume that dominant roll. It's what they do, there's nothing wrong with it, it's what works for them in their house. Think of the way you work things out in your family, sometimes you have to make a stand and asert your firmness in certain cases, this make the family run smoothly because the DH, the Kids the dog everybody knows when and when to not press your buttons. It works the same way in the coop.

4. angie3881

angie3881 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine always eventually adjust to each other. Seems to take forever, but they come along. I wouldn't get rid of anyone just yet.

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    don't re-home her...another will take her place...I just integrated my two flocks, and they are now just getting along.
    I have 12 25 week olds and 3 15 week olds...I kept them apart for several weeks, and slowly let them mingle.
    the younger ones still have to fight to get treats, but get plenty to eat...last night at treat time I had to feed them
    in a different dish, and kept the bigger ones away, but they are slowly getting it...they still get pecked at and chased off...
    but that is the way the pecking order goes. I doubt I will do it again, and I hope as they mature in the next few weeks and the
    roosters "find" them, they will help protect them as well...

hang in there, it should work out for you...

6. clinkski

clinkski Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Waterbury Center, VT
    Right now I don't think the little ones are eating if the hens are in the coop so I've been letting them free-range all day - the hens keep them away. That way I know they can go in the coop for food.

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    in the beginning, I let my older girls out to free range, and kept the younger ones in the run/coop.....then slowly let them all out together, now the older girls go off on their own, the 3 EE's have their own flock, they are now joined by my silkie (who used to pick on them) so I have 2 flocks now....just keep an eye on them and make sure the little ones have a place to hide.

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Make sure you have more than one feeder and waterer available in the coop/run - set far apart. As long as blood isn't being drawn, I'd probably just let them work it out. Letting them out for free ranging always helps too.
    I'm not opposed to isolating a bully for a few days though. I don't agree that another one will always take it's place. My flock bully is 2nd in command, and is the only bully - whether she's been in "time-out" or not. No other hen took a turn at bullying when she was out. Hers was not 'normal' pecking order issues (when food was involved or protecting roost space). She would go far out of her way to harrass newbies wherever they were, no matter what they were doing. And honestly, I thought about rehoming her she was so mean.
    You can also try a squirt gun or squirt bottle. I spent a lot of time sitting in the run one weekend w/a good book and a squirt bottle, squirting her in the face when she'd go out of her way to be mean. I didn't even have to get up (my intent was that perhaps since I hadn't moved, that maybe she'd think the newbies were somehow retaliating/standing up for themselves...lol). I really think it helped [​IMG]
    If it makes you feel any better, there is hope. My bully has calmed down quite a bit over time. Maybe she doesn't feel she has to prove herself as much anymore??? So maybe your meanie will do the same.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by