What should I do? Stay at my current stables, or go for this lease?

Zinnia-Hen

Live & Let Live
8 Years
Jan 29, 2011
I've been riding for a long time now and my parents and I have agreed that it's about time I get to lease my own horse. Anyway, I'm currently riding at this one stables that I really like because of how helpful and kind my riding instructor has been, but the only problem is that they've been running low on horses and I've been riding certain ones that I haven't been too comfortable with lately. I did want to lease there, but there are only so many horses availible. I want to stay, it's just that I'm not too sure if it's the right place for me to ride.

On the other hand, I've been looking around for leases on craigslist for the past few days. There were several ads that I found for leases and sound like something that might be better for me. Here are a few that I've had my eyes on:

All Around Horse For Lease For OHSET/4-H (Redland/Oregon City)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-11-06, 9:37AM PST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great 11-year-old 15.1 hand breed stock paint mare available for lease to OHSET/4-H. Must stay at current facility. Owner in college and not riding as much. Tack available for use. Ride as much as you like. Trailering to events available. This mare has won too much to list! Lots of professional training so needs an intermediate or advanced rider to use her skills. Has competed in OHSET, 4-H, open shows and more. She has done western, english, showmanship, halter, trail, in-hand trail, dressage, cow sorting, team penning and more. Lease fee is $160 per month and then $42.00 every 2 months for her shoes and then you need to take at least one lesson a month which is $30. Great fun barn with OHSET and 4-H kids on site. There is also a 4-H club that rides on site every week as well.

Horses For 1/2 Lease (OHSET, 4-H Or Adults) - $230 (Oregon City)

Date: 2011-11-06, 9:32AM PST

Great all around horses available for 1/2 lease at our facility. Ride as often as you like. Tack available for use. Great way to experience having a horse like your own. We do all the work and you come ride! Indoor arena, outdoor arena and trails on site. Trailering to events available. These are well trained horses and they have done it all: competed in OHSET, 4-H, open shows and trail riding. Email for more details.

Welsh Cob Eventer for Lease - $200 (Wilsonville)

Date: 2011-11-08, 9:49AM PST

Dreamy, our amazing Event pony is for lease. She is always in the ribbons, loves to jump and gets excellent scores in dressage.
She has won Beg. Nov. and Nov. events at LOH and is ready to go out and compete with the right rider. She would probably
do awesome at the dressage shows as well. She is also a sure-footed, go anywhere trail horse. She will steal your heart with her looks and personality.

I am looking for a small (5'2" or less) amateur adult for an in-barn partial lease.She can be spunky and is pony smart so I think an
intermediate rider would be best. Dreamy is 13.2 hds.
We are a family oriented, no drama barn with dressage and jumping training available.

So what I'm basically trying to say is, I'm being indecisive here.
tongue.png
Though I do enjoy my stables a whole lot and think it would be hard for me to leave, should I go with these leases? Or should I stay where I am?

Here is what I would do.

I would view the animals that are offered in the ads. Test them and see if they suit your needs, if the stables are easily accessible and the training knowledge.

Do not burn bridges...word gets around fast and a bad word even faster.

Quote:
Solid advice. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. In the end this is a decision that only you can make.

Thanks for the advice, that sounds like something I would have probably ended up doing. I'm just too indecisive at times...

Plus remember, Craigslist is full of all kinds of people. don't trust anything you read. Go and check out the horses but quite honestly, I'd stick with the ones you are comfortable with, rather than ending up "training" somebody else's horses which is what all the lease ads I looked at summed up to.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom