What should I do with my injured quail?

Ebony H

In the Brooder
Nov 30, 2017
Hi, my quail has a head injury and was bleeding quite badly this morning, I cleaned the blood up but I don’t know what to do, she doesn’t seem to be in pain. I have separated her from the flock and is inside with me. She had already been attacked by another quail on the back of the neck but this is on the top of her head. Please help. She also has a broken toe but I have taped it gently to the other good toe, is that fine?

Attachments

• AFDED569-114E-4911-B818-BD71F044CE84.jpeg
    AFDED569-114E-4911-B818-BD71F044CE84.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Quail are tough birds so I think with keeping her separated and calm she should heal up just fine. Just make sure her food and water are close and she is eating and drinking.
Thank you, she is eating and drinking normally, as for her head do you have any advice I don’t really want to go grabbing her to take a photo because she doesn’t really like it. But thank you for the information:)

Last edited:
For her head you can apply Vetericyn spray (found in pet stores and feed stores) or some Neosporin (the kind WITHOUT added pain relief) after very very gently cleaning away the blood. If you can't get the blood off, or cleaning her seems to be stressing her out just leave it, it'll scab and fall off on its own eventually. Apply the Vetericyn/Neosporin a couple times a day and keep her separated, warm and away from stress. She'll be fine faster than you'd think.

Agreed. You're doing well. Don't stress too much. They are pretty hardy birds. :thumbsup

You'll probably want to try to figure out how she got hurt. Did she boink and hit her head on the top of the cage? Was it from fighting? Was it from aggressive mating? Figuring out how it happened will help you find a solution to preventing it in the future. Sometimes it's something you can't do much about but it may also be something that requires a simple fix.

For her head you can apply Vetericyn spray (found in pet stores and feed stores) or some Neosporin (the kind WITHOUT added pain relief) after very very gently cleaning away the blood. If you can't get the blood off, or cleaning her seems to be stressing her out just leave it, it'll scab and fall off on its own eventually. Apply the Vetericyn/Neosporin a couple times a day and keep her separated, warm and away from stress. She'll be fine faster than you'd think.
Thank you, I’ll have a look for it in my local pet store :)

Agreed. You're doing well. Don't stress too much. They are pretty hardy birds. :thumbsup

You'll probably want to try to figure out how she got hurt. Did she boink and hit her head on the top of the cage? Was it from fighting? Was it from aggressive mating? Figuring out how it happened will help you find a solution to preventing it in the future. Sometimes it's something you can't do much about but it may also be something that requires a simple fix.
I think it was from her hitting her head on the top of the cage because it was just a little cut and then it turned into a bigger cut and was bleeding pretty badly. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom