What should I do ?

Mixed breed rooster

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2024
I made a bullshit... in practice I gave a hen close to laying a coccidiostat, she actually had coccidiosis but it was very mild, nothing serious but I got anxious and gave it. Now she has laid her first little egg for me (proving that she was actually fine, and that she shouldn't have had it... she was just 4 months old!) my question is: how long until I will be able to consume her eggs? I finished giving it to her two weeks ago and have been giving it to her for 3 days. Not only will I be able to eat them in the future or has their quality been compromised for my bullshit ? 🤦

What is the Coccidiostat you gave?

You are in Italy? What is the guideline/recommendation for the specific Coccidiostat that you gave her?

Here in the U.S. if you use a Amprolium (Corid) (Coxoid) then there is no withdrawal period. The medication is said to be safe to use in laying hens.

Yes, I'm in Italy. His name is coccidiol. I don't know man 🤦 his primarly for parrots 🤦but the doctor says that the use for the chickens is safe.

On the note it says: not to be given to animals intended for human consumption.

It looks like coccidiosis is a sulfa antibiotic close to bactrim or SMZ-TMP. I would probably wait for at least 3 weeks to use the eggs from this chicken. In Australia, they wait 10 days, but some studies say that it lasts longer, as long as 17 days for one ingredient and 43 days for the other.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0273230021000817

Today marks exactly 3 weeks since the last day of coccidiol. How long will you wait before consuming those eggs? What if the chicken was yours? Is there anyone who has found themselves in a similar situation to me? Did you eat the eggs then?

however I discovered that the young hen did not start yet to lay eggs, but another mother hen starts laying eggs again she weaned the chicks when they were not even a month and a half old and chased them away. The chicks (and the hen) received also the coccidiol last time 3 weeks ago.

I Will never give coccidiostat again only in severe case!

Icona di Verificata con community

1713110275575.png

Icona di Verificata con community

1713109746554.png

Back
Top Bottom