what should I do?

abhaya

Songster
12 Years
Nov 5, 2010
cookeville, tn
I have 6 girls one is laying has been for a long time.
I have 5 younger ladies I am not sure of. If they are laying they are not doing it in the coop where I can find the eggs. Should I leave them in the coop for a few days to see if they ARE laying?

Are you sure they are all at laying age? If so, I would keep them in the coop for a few days. Maybe if they see one hen laying in the same place over and over, they'll be inspired. Also, from what I've read, some girls are just late bloomers, so maybe they just aren't laying yet. Have you put fake eggs or golfballs in the nests? Keep in mind, though, I am completely new at this!
Hope you find some more eggs! In the right place, too!

the youngest of the girls is july 6 the other ones I got from a kid down the road. he said that they had started to lay for him but I have had them 3 weeks with no eggs. They free range the older hen comes back to the coop to lay. I dont know if the younger girls are laying in the woods or just not laying. I have eggs ing the nest to show them where to go. They are real eggs from my laying hen. no one has messed with them.

Build them a run which will give you knowledge of their laying habits. Enclosing them will make sure that they lay in the nests and will let you know who's laying.
If you're in a hurry to find out if they're laying or not, check their vent if it's small and pink, not laying, if red they have started laying.

Back
Top Bottom