What should I do?

Peaches Lee

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 19, 2010
Pennsylvania
A month ago I was chicken-less. So when I went to TSC and they had EEs, I decided to jump in and get my chicken flock started. I purchased 14 straight run. After becoming attached to them, and realistically figuring I will have a large number of roos, I decided to purchase 14 Golden Comet pullets that TSC just happened to have. The idea behind that was, more pullets to help balance the hen-roo ratio. I bought 14 pullets.

So today I headed to TSC for some much needed shavings for my horses--no intention of buying anymore chicks--seriously. I of course had to SEE the chicks, but that's a given for any chicken lover. So this is where I'm coming to my point. In a bin they had ducklings and bantam Silkies (I think), seperated by a cardboard piece, sharing a brooder lamp. Ducklings being ducklings, had water all over their side and it was leaking to the bantams side, right where the light was. The ducklings had the lion's share of the light. The bantams were standing on wet shavings, huddling under what light they could, but not laying down because it was soaked. They looked tired and uncomfortable (they just arrived today).

So I bought all of them. All 26. I just couldn't leave them there, any of them there. They are so tiny, and cute and precious. So what am I going to do with them? Any suggestions?

They are now enjoying their new brooder immensely. Stretching out, getting good sleep, eating and drinking. They look much more happy and content.

They are Silkies right? They have some feathers on their feet.

68054_reg_nosy_espy_573.jpg

LOL your funny................ you have the will power of a kid in a candy shop............LOL Im just kidding with ya.
I do hope you have fun with you new chicks.......
FYI...... If I were you Id send the spouse to Tractor Supply for supplies. It's for your own good, Trust me!

gig.gif
Candy store. Funny you mentioned that because I have seriously considered opening a candy store in my commercial building that is currently empty.
lol.png

The chicks are doing so great, sleeping hard, eating, running around. I think in the end it worked out for all because the ducklings will have more space, and not share the brooder lamp. And the Silkies have their own space too. I do look forward to experiencing their personalities.

Broody hens, sounds like a good idea that would be fun (I have been checking out the broody hen thread).

Do you think these are the non-bearded variety of Silkie? Or wont that be evident until they mature?

Thanks for your responses.

You are so lucky!! When I went to TSC to look for silkies they only had assorted bantams and out of the ten that we got I only got one silkie...... very lucky. Sell the ones you dont want or breed them to sell for kids, silkies are very sweet natured birds unless they go broody, then theyll peck the fire out of you.. You can use your silkies as the best incubator in the world, good luck and have fun with your silkies!!

Quote:

Last edited:
wee.gif
Send one to me, please! I was trying to find a Silkie for ages around my area! I finally settled for a Polish and (what appears to be) a Crevecoeur.

Well Peaches, from what I understand about chicken math, you're still at a zero. Chicks don't count but in a few months, you'll have a good supply of eggs to sell. We started out about 50, gave some away, wanted more, so just received 75 chicks. I have more demand for our eggs then I have supply, I could bring in 40 dozen a week and still run out.
love.gif
my hens

K, I just read your post to my (slightly exasperated) Hubby .... he laughed, and said "well I see you're not alone". We're up to 18, with 6 more coming next week -- and he's yet to start on the coop. The five week olds are going to be ready soon. Looks like I'll need to get the ball rolling, and maybe double the capacity :)

Back
Top Bottom