What should I do??

snchez22

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 29, 2013
Is it normal for a chicken to lay on her baby after it hatches? Or should I try and take the newly hatched baby out from under her and take it away?

This is normal, she will lay/sleep on them to keep them warm. She will lay on them to help them dry after hatching. As long as she gets up in couple days and teaches them where the food and water is they will be fine :)

Any idea on how I can black bear proof my coop, short of moving the girls into the house? I have been through racoons, hawks and now bear. When I have to deal with snacks I will freak!!! And since I live in Florida I know the time will come. I love my hens :( it is so disappointing when I feel I can't protect them.

Any idea on how I can black bear proof my coop, short of moving the girls into the house?  I have been through racoons, hawks and now bear.  When I have to deal with snacks I will freak!!! And since I live in Florida I know the time will come.  I love my hens :( it is so disappointing when I feel I can't protect them.
Move? Yikes! Sorry, kidding. A well trained dog would help.

Florida Fish and Wildlife representative said don't let the dog go near them, if we like the dog, one swat from a bear and the dog can be seriously injured.

Is it normal for a chicken to lay on her baby after it hatches? Or should I try and take the newly hatched baby out from under her and take it away?
Leave the chick(s) with momma. She knows how to take care of them. They spend a lot of time under her the first week or so, but come out to eat and drink. Make sure they can reach the feed and water. They start going out more and more and in a few weeks just go under momma to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom