What should I do?

chickenjohn6910

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 31, 2014
California
I have 5 chickens and they're all seemingly fine but I take another closer at them and really watch them they seem to have a lot of symptoms of diseases in this flyer I saw and all my chickens have at least two of the symptoms they diarrhea and they have they have their mouths open most of the time and another symptom of drooling with just one of the chickens but I don't know what to do anymore

Is it hot where you live? If they are acting fine, eating and drinking etc., they should be fine. If it is hot, birds will pant (go around with their mouths open) and will get runnier poop.

But what about the drool?

And another question can chickens get their growth stunted?
I've seen some of my birds drool a bit before. I've also seen them regurgitate a little bit of water as well. Are they eating and drinking normally? Any discharge from the eyes or nostrils or wheezing? If anything, it will more than likely be respiratory. If you don't see any of these symptoms and the birds are behaving normally, I'd say you're fine. If the weather is hot, this is pretty typical behavior. As far as stunted growth, just as in other animals, there can be "runts" in hatches pf chicks. Smaller, weaker birds with various defects can hatch out of a clutch. I had a GLW hen that was not a bantam, but not nearly as big as her normal counterparts. She also had a severely twisted beak that rendered her almost completely unable to eat without assistance. We cull birds like this here.

Back
Top Bottom