What should I do?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ducklvr, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Ducklvr

Ducklvr Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2010
    So about 3 weeks ago I started some eggs (chicken, silky and some Americana mutts) in a borrowed Brinsea Octagon 20. I have candled several times and all looked fine, but this morning I woke up to a disgusting smell and a egg explosion (you have no idea how tempting it was to write that as "eggsplosion")... I have no idea what to do. Are all the eggs ruined? Should I remove the cracked one and hope for the best? What about cleaning the incubator? Is it going to be impossible to get that gross smell out of it? I haven't gone into lockdown, so I feel comfortable pulling the eggs out and giving the incubator a quick but thorough cleaning, if anyone thinks that's what I should do.

Thank you!

2. Zanlm

Zanlm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    I am new to this as well so don't hold me to this. But........ I'd get a heating pad and put a towel over it to keep the eggs warm and clean as fast as I could then put the eggs back that is still in tact and see what happens.

Sorry. Hope every thing works out for you!

3. Ducklvr

Dec 22, 2010
    Thanks for the quick response, that's what I was thinking I would do. So I guess here I go. I just need that smell out of my house. [​IMG]

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Sorry to hear about the explosion :sick

Your eggs will be fine to take out I would really scrub the incubator and sterilise it if at all possible. If your eggs are not in lockdown yet they should be fine out of the incubator its just like mother hen getting off the nest to do her business.
    You will just have to hope for the best with the remaining eggs bacteria from your exploded egg can easily contaminate them because of the warmth and humidity within the incubator its an ideal breeding ground for it.

Hope your remaining eggs make wishing you the very best of luck :fl

5. Ducklvr

Dec 22, 2010
    All right. Eggs were removed for about 15 minutes under a heating bad while the incubator was cleaned and sanitized (NOTHING got the smell out but Purification EO! I just mixed the EO with diluted Hydrogen peroxide to kill the germs). All remaining eggs were candled and I tossed any that didn't look right (I had allowed one "iffy" one to stay, it wasn't the one that exploded, but what if it was next? I though to myself).

Wish me luck with the rest of them. I'll be re-candling tonight to see if any of them look okay still. Thank you to everyone for the advice.

6. Zanlm

Sep 2, 2014
    How is every thing going?

7. Ducklvr

Dec 22, 2010
  8. Zanlm

Sep 2, 2014
    From what I have read they may take some time to hatch like that. I'm new to this but I'd use my gut feeling on it. Sorry I'm not much help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by