What should i use for bedding??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gib_577, Mar 21, 2008.

1. gib_577

gib_577 New Egg

Mar 14, 2008
    Hey everyone i was just wondering what i should use as a bedding ? I heard that cedar isn't good for the chickens and i know you can use pine but im not sure how much its cost and also straw so what one should i use
    any help will be use full thanks

2. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    I paid $5.45 for 50lbs of fine pine shavings on friday...they smell nice and make good bedding...Mine came from my local feed store but I'm sure Tractor Supply carries it too. [​IMG]

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Pine shavings are not expensive. A bale costs between $5 and $6. I buy from a feed store and get big pine curls. I do not like the fine saw dust style 'shavings' our TSC has. Chicks seem to ingest more of those instead of just pecking like they do the big curls.

4. kaylakala

kaylakala Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Melbourne Florida
    Is pine okay? I know with reptiles and other small animals its not really recommended anymore. Respiratory problems.

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

I had been using straw but I'm switching to shavings. You can get a pretty good sized bag a Wally world for a few bucks

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We use pine shavings here also. We get them from Tractor Supply or WalMart from anywhere to $4.50 - 6.00.

Dawn

7. Theda's Mom

Theda's Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Moscow TN
    I use pine shavings too. The same stuff I put in my horse's stall. I buy mine at the local feed store (Blue Seal, up here in NH; was Southern States when we lived in NC, VA, and MD).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by