What should vet techs know about US?

BayCityBabe

Songster
11 Years
May 1, 2008
I have a question for the 18,000+ chicken experts on this forum: What should vet techs know about chickens & chicken owners? DD and I have been invited to speak to a group of young people (17-20, mostly) who are training to be veterinary assistants & vet techs.
What would YOU tell this group?

That individual chicken owners can be very knowledgeable so they better know their stuff. Also, no matter what you learn in school, the owners know their animals the best. If they say something is wrong...FREAKING LISTEN!!!

Might want to mention that for some, chickens are working animals- and for some, they are beloved pets!

Chickens with health issues tend to decline rapidly, as do other birds. Delays are not good.

Good luck, you'll do fine!
thumbsup.gif

Oh I agree with Wifezilla - WE know our animals better than anyone - and that includes dogs, cats, rats, cows, whatever...

That is the #1 irritating thing; 3 years ago our cat was limping around and I knew something was wrong. I thought he broke his hip - at the ball and socket area. I took him to my vet of 19 years who refused to do an xray!
somad.gif
It wasnt HIS money - it was mine! I begged him to do it..he refused. I told him something was wrong with my cat... I KNEW it was - I explained to him the breed was notorious for having hip issues.. PLEASE XRAY. He still refused and sent us home for a week on pain meds! If nothing was wrong..why pain meds then?

3 days later - the cat was worse, I called him back - still refused to do an xray. So I called a vet that dealt with only cats - no other animals. I took him in (Tigger is my baby...) and sure enough - she did an xray and there on the film is a hairline shear - he sheared his ball joint right off the femur bone - common in this breed. We had to have ER surgery and I fired my 19 year vet immediately!
smack.gif
My new vet sent pictures of the xray and complete report to the old vet...and all he said was "oh...". Jerk...

Last edited:
To listen to us...we know our birds. Also, while it is a chicken it is still a pet in most cases and show the same compassion and dedication to that chicken as you would a dog, cat or pet rat.

I plan to tell them about BYC. This site is evidence that our passion for poultry is a growing trend. I think that vets will be asked to see pet chickens more & more in the future.
At dinner tonight, the family talked about all the misconceptions about chickens: that you need a rooster for eggs, that roosters have little penises that pop out, that chickens only lay in the Spring... I think that these vet tech students might believe some of the myths.
BTW: the instructor for the vet tech class is a veterinarian that saved the life of my 4 week old Turken when her brooder mates turned on her. We will be presenting in a "chicken friendly" environment.

Quote:
I agree with your opinions -- and thanks for planning to give a shout-out to BYC. Good luck with your presentation! (Are you bringing any of your chickens with you?)

Back
Top Bottom