What should we do...re: neighbors...

I don't think the police would do anything in this case. I mean like the OP said, that cat got into the neighbors yard. It's not like this "ferocious beast" broke through the fence and pulled a Jerassic Park murder in the OP's yard. Stuff like this happens, you know?

I hate liars too, but not enough to call in and report their dog. By taking this issue to the police, I think the only thing that Animal Control would do is ask "Well, why was your cat loose in their yard?".

That's all I'm saying. The poor kitty is more than likely dead. Why make a huge issue because the neighbor lied to duck out of trouble.

Yes, she lied. I hate that she didn't have the courage to tell the truth, but I think it's time just to let it go. Making a huge deal out of it, isn't going to make anyone feel any better, neither will it bring the kitty back to life. It's happened, it was ugly, and it's done.

How many of us poultry people use Shoot, Shovel, and Shut-up? Except the neighbor didn't shoot the kitty, but she essentially Shoveled and Shut-up(tried to shut her husband up, but that didn't work out to well for her..)

Sorry you lost your kitty. Especially sorry your neighbor couldn't just tell the truth..

-Kim

Last edited:
When I was a kid I was playing basketball with friends and we lived in a large condo complex. Our ball rolled out of bounds, down a small hill, and into a neighbors yard whom everyone knew had three not so nice Dalmations.
Stupid me, knowing they were on chains and seeing the ball away from where the dogs were, went into the yard to get the ball.
All three chains were joined and the combined force and commotion broke them sending about 150 pound worth of snarling, barking, and snapping dalmation at my 11 year old body. I was attacked and bit all over my legs and hip areas by all three dogs, one of which hanging onto my flesh while I ran away screaming.
A friend had to beat the dog off with a bat.
I was very wrong for going into their yard when there was a Beware of Dog Sign AND a No Trespassing sign on their fence.
I had to have stitches and get fixed up but there was no long term damage.
All three dogs on the other hand were taken to local animal control and put to sleep because even though there was a No Trespassing sign, they were still deemed a threat to society and the fact that they had a Beware Of Dog sign basically was admitting to the public that they owned viscious dogs.

The point I'm getting at is that while I was remarkably stupid for doing what I did, these things happen and kids are kids, they tend to think they're invincible and nothing will happen to them.
If that dog potentially shredded a cat that wandered into it's yard, what would happen if it were a toddler or even an older child? Especially with the missing piece of fence...

Those dalmations that bit me were put down within hours of the event and there had never been any prior complaints about them or their owner. Just a little story...
Do I feel bad, Sure!
Was it drastic? Probably.

To me this goes beyond the cat, while that is sad enough in itself.
I've ironically been training dogs for over 15 years now. I sure hope this pit isn't chained all the time, that could definately be hurting him mentally and making him neurotic and more of a safety concern.

Are you sure you want the cat? It was killed by dogs, it's gonna be a chewed up bloody mess, and after sitting in the heat all day it's gonna stink. You want your kids to see that??? Why?

Quote:
Oh please! Our dogs are trained from puppy up that cats are game animals as same as coons or coyotes. Our current dog will shred any cat in this yard, but plays like a big puppy with our 4 yr old grandson. Those 2 are inseperable. A dog that kills cats (read: GAME, legal in most states) is NOT a vicious child killer.....sheesh.

I'm sorry that you broke the law and got hurt because of it. Sure, those things happen, and when they do people learn from them. Sure it could of ended tragically, but luckily it didn't. Those dogs were in a fenced yard, and them being put down because of a irresponsible child is sad. If they were my dog's, I'd of sued the child's parents.

The dog killed a cat, as the OP said how could she of been mad about it when HER cat was in THEIR yard? I can in a way understand her wanting the body because my mom is the same way about things like that. But all my dead chickens go in the dumpster as well as any cats shot or dog killed here. In my opinion, for the OP's children's sakes, she oughta let it go. Or If she doesn't want to let it go, then tell her neighbor that she knows she lied about the dog killing the cat, but not ask for the decaying body back.

any cats shot.

why would you shoot a cat . or for that matter train your dogs to attack kill cats?
smack.gif

I don't understand why on earth you would purposely train your dogs to shred cats, that's disturbing...

The fact is that anyone who knows dogs enough knows that they have prey drive and knows that small children often move in erradic patterns that mimic prey, running in not stright lines, using unpredictable movements, making odd noises, etc.
I am NOT and did not say that a dog that goes after a cat is a child killer, what I did say is that a dog that murders, not just barks at, snaps at, but kills, a cat unprevoked does not have a solid enough temperment for me and I wouldn't trust it.
As said, I've been training over 15 years, I do CGC's for AKC, have trained and certified guide dogs as well as mobility dogs for the disabled, have even trained Search and Rescue and some schutzhund. I would never trust a dog to be around any kids that of it's own accord snapped and killed another animal that hadn't done any harm to it or it's humans.
I would almost say it'd be one thing from a trainers stand-point if you told the dog to do it and it acted on command, but to just do it hints at unpredictability in the temperment.
But even then, say you had a command for your dog to "eat cat" unless you give that darn command that dog had better not touch any cat even if it walked up right up and did figure eights between it's legs...
Maybe my standards are too high, whatever...

And those dals were basically put down because of that Beware Of Dog sign, the animal control officer said it was like advertising they were carrying a loaded weapon. And the owners weren't ticked, they were sad for a while but they were good friends of alot of the people in the area and were never anything but friendly to me after the fact, it was a horrible accident that's all. My point was simply that kids do dumb things sometimes; everyone knows a similar story about a kid being hit by a car after they chased their ball into the road, KWIM?
Can you sit there and be 100% sure that if some strange toddler or even older kid wandered into your yard for some god-knows-what reason that it would live to tell the tale?
I think that if the OP needs that clousure then she should go for it and that's really all that matters here. It's about her wellbeing and her poor cat.

Because in Illinois they are unprotected, and therefore legal. My dh lost an entire COOP full of roller pigeons to a feral cat, and I've lost chickens, one just last week to a cat. I spent a good deal of money feeding songbirds in my yard, have numerous feeders and houses for them. google "feral cats and songbirds" for some outstanding statistics of the number of songbirds killed each year by feral cats. MILLIONS. They are song birds #1 predator. They also kill rabbits and are disasterous on quail and even young pheasant.

Most people that live in the rural area shoot cats the same as one would shoot a rat. Just life in the country.

Cats are fine if they're housecats, or are restrained in a yard somehow (not very easy to do, granted). But when you let your cat roam, it becomes everyone else's problem. If it comes to my house, it wont come again.

<<Can you sit there and be 100% sure that if some strange toddler or even older kid wandered into your yard for some god-knows-what reason that it would live to tell the tale? >>

Absolutely.

I take it that while you've trained some dogs for some much needed and honorable positions, you've never trained a hunting dog or a guard dog. My dog is both. I have trained many dogs over the years. My dogs will kill animals that do not belong in the yard, and bark at people who do not belong there.

I got my start in dog training training coon hounds. In the chase, many times coons will be caught on the ground. A coon is a vicious opponent for a hound sized dog, especially when one is caught in the water. If the dogs weren't trained and bred to kill that coon, the coon would kill them.

We raise chickens and pigeons. Cats kill them. I won't allow that. If you want to allow cats to kill your animals, thats fine by me, but don't tell me I need to do the same. This is America, and i've broken no laws.

<<who's going to explain to your dog that that particular cat was so and so's show kitty fluffy and not a feral cat.>>

No one. If it's in my yard (where my dog is) it really makes no difference.

Back
Top Bottom